• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 cal. Adequate ?

Sounds absolutely insane, but a friend of mine goes to Colorado every year to elk hunt. He carries a .223. He says he's never shot one more than once and has killed everyone he's ever shot. He lives by the rule of shot placement. I don't think I'd go that small personally though.

Yes it will kill any animal on earth, Koramojo Bell killed hundreds of elephants with a 6.5x55. Eskimos kill polar bears with 223s every year the largest brown bear for years
Was killed by a girl with a 22lr. Now if I was shooting elk at a 1000yds I would want something else like a 300 win.
If I was fighting brown bears in thick brush I would want a 375 H&H at least but if all I had was a 308 I would feel fine
There are just better options.

Due to some minor injuries ( neck, shoulder) I'm becoming a bit recoil sensitive. My go to deer gun is a Browning A Bolt 270 WSM.

I do have a Rimington VTR .308 that has less felt recoil. But is still a little punishing to shoot more than just a few rounds at a time through. The 270WSM is even worse.

My son has taken a liking to the VTR. So I'm thinking of something in .308 in an AR platform. Maybe a Sig 716.

We are both going on a Texas Whitetail hunt together this season so I'm considering a new hunting rifle.
Go to a 130 grain bullet in the 308 for whitetails. The low bullet weight will reduce recoil and 130 grains in plenty for whitetail. Ballistic Coefficient won't be great, but you won't be able to tell much difference out to around 300 yards. I particularly like the Barnes 130 grain Tipped Triple Shock X bullet for this.

BTW, why lug the extra weight of an AR platform around when a good lightweight bolt action would do the job so well?

Go to a 130 grain bullet in the 308 for whitetails. The low bullet weight will reduce recoil and 130 grains in plenty for whitetail. Ballistic Coefficient won't be great, but you won't be able to tell much difference out to around 300 yards. I particularly like the Barnes 130 grain Tipped Triple Shock X bullet for this.

BTW, why lug the extra weight of an AR platform around when a good lightweight bolt action would do the job so well?

I was just thinking the heavier AR platform and buffer tube would be the best way to get a bigger
bullet and less recoil than my 270WSM.

I was just thinking the heavier AR platform and buffer tube would be the best way to get a bigger
bullet and less recoil than my 270WSM.
It would, but if all you are hunting is whitetails a lighter bullet is a much easier way of accomplishing the same goal.

A well placed and properly designed 130 grain bullet from a 308 is plenty for deer sized game. There are folks that believe the lighter bullet has better terminal ballistics on deer and use it because they think it's optimum. I would not disagree with that.

I'm also one of those guys that firmly believes in the idea of "Use enough gun". A 223 is under powered for deer and my preferred cartridge for elk is a 338 Win Mag. Take that into account when considering my opinion of 130 grain out of a 308 on whitetail.

Last edited:
Maybe a different solution is in order.
Even the light hunting .308 ARs are 8# + naked. Add optics and ammo and the scales load up quick.
Due to My experiences with the ergonomics of the protruding grip, magazines (yes even the 4 round) and tall profile optics due to the buffer tube as well as the round fore end that doesn't like to be propped up on objects would lead me to recommend something in a more classic styling.
There are good reasons most choose to hunt with a bolt action.
I don't know what you're hunting with now but reduced recoil ammo may be the answer and the most economical as well.
Remington claims 50% reduction with their reduced recoil ammo and it comes in most common calibers.
Slip on recoil pads, dead mule recoil reducers and muzzle brakes are other good options and all the options can even be combined.
While the .308 is plenty for the southern states, the .300 Win Mag will definitely kill anything in North America and can be turned into a pussycat with the above options.

Sounds absolutely insane, but a friend of mine goes to Colorado every year to elk hunt. He carries a .223. He says he's never shot one more than once and has killed everyone he's ever shot. He lives by the rule of shot placement. I don't think I'd go that small personally though.

Wow, hope he doesn't get caught. It isn't legal to hunt Rocky Mountain elk with anything smaller than 24 caliber. Hell, it isn't legal to hunt any big game in New Mexico and Colorado with anything smaller than 24 caliber.

I have no idea if it's legal or not? I don't have enough money to do those hunts :). He could just be blowing smoke up my rear, but he was pretty convincing in his reasoning.
Wow, hope he doesn't get caught. It isn't legal to hunt Rocky Mountain elk with anything smaller than 24 caliber. Hell, it isn't legal to hunt any big game in New Mexico and Colorado with anything smaller than 24 caliber.

I've posted this before on another thread. May be the answer to your problem without having to buy a whole new gun that may or may not have less recoil. Hornady has a whole line of reduced recoil ammo.

485517.jpg

Back
Top Bottom