• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 cal. Adequate ?

The 308 managed recoil loads are still hotter then the 7.62x39 that I killed whitetails for years with (Wolf 123gr HP @2400). Like everyone keeps saying, shot placement is what really matters. BTW, I got a carbine LR308 and I think it is lighter than my old rifle 7.62x39 AR.

Lots of cartridges are 'adequate'. Fewer are 'ideal'. Both are debatable.
If this post is about a new rifle for hunting white-tail in Texas, heck most anything will do. I shot 6 deer there. 3 with a .243 and 3 with a .270. The 3 shot with the .243 were all DRT. The 3 shot with the .270 all rain (a little).

300 black out in bolt or ar platform. If are shooting 200 yards or less then you will have no problems.
I know that some people dont want to do the paper work but a suppressed 308 feels like a 22 mag.

300 black out in bolt or ar platform. If are shooting 200 yards or less then you will have no problems.
I know that some people dont want to do the paper work but a suppressed 308 feels like a 22 mag.
Has about the same external ballistics, too. At least the subsonics. LOL!

Due to some minor injuries ( neck, shoulder) I'm becoming a bit recoil sensitive. My go to deer gun is a Browning A Bolt 270 WSM.

I do have a Remington VTR .308 that has less felt recoil. But is still a little punishing to shoot more than just a few rounds at a time through. The 270WSM is even worse.

We are both going on a Texas Whitetail hunt together this season so I'm considering a new hunting rifle.

.260 or 7-08 in a model 7 or 700.

Back
Top Bottom