• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 Youth Load Preliminary Results...looking good

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
OK as always please double check any load data before using it!!!

So I had a friend's son who is recoil shy and not enough money to buy said son a .243. What does one do. Head out to the Hodgdon web site and check out some youth loads they have published. See: www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf

Results are a 13 year old who is willing to shoot his dad's Savage model 11 with a smile on his face and no flinching while pulling the trigger.

The first set of loads were done in run of the mill boxer primed military brass of mixed headstamps. The only change I made from the Hodgdon load data was the over all length based on some prior 110 loads I had done. (so I was a tad short) The shown loads were shot out of a Remington SPS Tactical. The group was just a tad under 3/8 of an inch at 101 yards shot with a sand and a backpack off a patio table.

My Load Data:
Brass - Mixed Mill
Bullet - Hornady 130 SP
Powder - H4895 37g
Primer - WLR
OAL - 2.685 (a tad shorter than suggested)

Attachments

• Rem700SPS_130HornadySP_37grH4895_sm.JPG
    Rem700SPS_130HornadySP_37grH4895_sm.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
Another reason to love reloading... tailor the load to the shooter. My wife use to be gun shy I`d. load what I called 38/22`s A subsonic extremlly light load chronographed at around 700fps. No recoil she shot it and was very accurate at close range. Also cured her flinch

Last edited:
good idea, any experience with the remington managed recoil rounds? They should be right around the same as the OP's rounds if memory serves me right.

according to hogdons new manual use can use trail boss in rifle loads also. Fills the case and less recoil. My son is 7 and probably gonna do that to ease him into his 30/30

The youth load is intended for deer hunting out to 200 yards and is close enough that the scope doesn't need to be changed between dad's 150gr factory load and the 130gr youth load. Different point blank ranges obviously, but over all very easy for them to share the rifle.

The H4895 powder at 37g is about 75% of the published max load. Don't think that can be done safely with just any powder. (but I'm still new to this)

Back
Top Bottom