• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 bullet molds

There are a couple of companies that make good HP bullet molds. NOE is probably one of the better known brands and he usually stocks a variety of bullets..

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=35_299

as others have mentioned, join the cast boolits site, you'll learn a lot there.

also consider powder coating your cast bullets. Cuts down on leading and might help a bit more with your load options.

Do you already reload and are just looking into casting?

Yea, my Dad taught me how to reload for deer hunting a while back and I would like my own set up to load 357's for cost savings. I saw casting as the ultimate savings. If nothing else, I need to at least get some of those 20-30 cent rounds going as you've mentioned. Probably not a bad idea to start there and get my basic 357 reloading set up going to start with. I've got a little Lee single stage press with some of the quick change bushings and a few other things like a powder funnel, auto primer, reloading tray, reloading manual, and saved brass.

It's getting pretty close to Black Friday, I may try to snag some supplies then. I still need to get some dies, powder, primers, and probably bullets. What does a typical BF sale look like? No hazmat fees? Free shipping all around? Is Midway the best place to get everything (assuming they have it)?

You can get a 2 cavity (or 6) Lee "Tumble Lube" mold in .357 in 158gr. and a Lee push through sizing die - .358 (with Lee Alox) Cast them, swirl them in Lee Liquid Alox, size them and another light coating of Liquid Alox. Let them dry and reload them. Super cheap and very accurate. They are not hollow point molds, but are accurate, economical and will kill deer/hogs. This is a great way to get into casting and pistol reloading.

Lead can be clip on lead wheel weights. It works great. The last 3 deer I have killed were in GA with cast bullets. Wheel weights and a Lee mold.

If you are serious about casting, go ahead and start looking for clip on wheel weight lead and start building up a stash. They are getting harder to come by and I am finding more steel and zinc clip on weights than anything else lately. Check the old tire shops and see if they will give you the used ones or for maybe for a nominal fee. Sometimes you get lucky.

Seems you are already starting on handgun loading. It is definitely a good idea to cut your teeth on a straight walled pistol case and use jacketed bullets. 357 magnum is probably one of the most versatile and easy cartridges to load for. Once you get comfortable with that, you can then move up to your own cast boolits and bottle necked cases later.

There is just so much to know and so many tools that are necessary to do it right. Starting light builds your confidence and you can add the tools needed for more complicated reloading as you expand your knowledge and experience.

Midwayusa is a good source, so is powdervalleyinc and midsouthshooterssupply. Put in your birthday on the Midwayusa account and they give you like 10% off when you b-day is near.

Rosewood

I load on a Dillon 550b, but I also use a lot of Lee dies and have a single stage Lee I use for sizing rifle brass and other miscellaneous processing. The Lee autodisk powder measure is wonderful. I don't use it on rifle, but I use it a lot for pistol calibers. Seems like the pro kit is like $35 or so. I would recommend it and it will work great on your Lee press with the quick change dies, will greatly speed up your powder charging.

Rosewood

You can get a 2 cavity (or 6) Lee "Tumble Lube" mold in .357 in 158gr. and a Lee push through sizing die - .358 (with Lee Alox) Cast them, swirl them in Lee Liquid Alox, size them and another light coating of Liquid Alox. Let them dry and reload them. Super cheap and very accurate. They are not hollow point molds, but are accurate, economical and will kill deer/hogs. This is a great way to get into casting and pistol reloading.

Lead can be clip on lead wheel weights. It works great. The last 3 deer I have killed were in GA with cast bullets. Wheel weights and a Lee mold.

I've shot thousands of the tumble lube mold, mostly because I'm lazy. I don't even size.

I have a sizer and all the dies, that I use mostly when I want to load up some hot .44 mag or .357 loads, but for every day shooting the tumble lube is hard to beat. To make life easier, bell the brass a little more.

Someone had a Star sizer on here a few days ago, for a very low price. Don't see them very often on the used market, but they are 'da bomb for hobby reloading.

Back
Top Bottom