• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357 magnum, first loads!

Drifter

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
23   0
Reaction score
After a lot of trial and error I finally found a formula I'm really happy with!
Accurate, clean, and powerful.

I do have 1200 berrys 158 grain to use though. Anyone got a good formula for those?

(I know my bench is small but I'm starting that way )

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 62
Yes, concur. I looked it up and see that the starting load is indeed 21. It's been a while since I loaded 125 GR 357 mags. That being said, I also recommend you work it up to mid to upper range. As I recall, H110 is one of those powders that like to be loaded in the upper range.

What a great feeling! It's been over a month of reloading for me and I'm finally calming down a bit. I haven't shot this much in my life, ever!!! I've been to the range at least 8 times in the last two weeks and started selling some of my factory ammo.

I don't bother reloading .357 Magnum cases for "target" reduced loads.

I just grab the .38 SPL and shoot those.

H110 is a really good powder for pushing bullets to really fast levels. I'd opt for a jacketed bullet for those speeds as plated bullets may distort and yield poor accuracy. I have not tested this personally, just the internet hubbub and experience with really soft cast lead bullets years ago.

A chronograph really helps when developing specific loads such as subsonic or barn burners. Never knew how much I needed one until I got one.

Hey Drifter,
HP 38 is a great powder for 357's. You mentioned ordering some plinking bullets. I've got plenty of 158gr LRN that are poly coated if you are interested. They run clean and you can push them as hot as Berry's without leading. I've got .10 in them are you're welcome to a few hundred at that. PM me if you're interested.

Hey Drifter,
HP 38 is a great powder for 357's. You mentioned ordering some plinking bullets. I've got plenty of 158gr LRN that are poly coated if you are interested. They run clean and you can push them as hot as Berry's without leading. I've got .10 in them are you're welcome to a few hundred at that. PM me if you're interested.
Hey bud!
I still have about 1k berrys to go through - I was actually going to see if you had a good relatively powerful 38 load for those bullets?

Back
Top Bottom