• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4,100 fps out of a .243

That’s the beauty of the .204 Ruger. 4K+ varminter without shredding barrels. Splodes prairie dogs and good medicine for yotes too if the wind cooperates.

Anyone remember the ol' .30-06 Accelerator round?

55 grains around 4,100fps or so. I don't think the sabot degraded the bore much but apparently the accuracy wasn't that great either.

I ran those in my .30 - .30 as a kid. I was trying to outrun my old .45 acp with them ;)

I also used .243 when I used to hunt, with good results. I remember hunting rags of the day claiming that it was 'marginal' for white tails.:)
Lol. The deer didn't get that memo I guess. ;)
In fairness mine were TX hill country deer. A little smaller than average Piedmont deer here.

That is straight smoking.
What would the benefit of that velocity be?
Extended Point Blank Range. The distance the bullet travels before drag, gravity and spin drift throw it out of the target area, thereby needing holdover or a bullet drop compensator - a flat trajectory.

I've never shot a deer twice and never lost one with any caliber. But as far as DRT, the .243 was the only to accomplish that 100% (on a very small sample set).
My uncle has killed more deer with a .243 than anybody I know. It's been his rifle since he was a kid. Remington Model 600, I think, in .243. He bow hunts for fun and was a tester or something for PSE. He got a new bow from them every couple of years. Anyways...old, beat up, spray painted a half dozen times but that rifle will drop a deer in its tracks. Saw it many times.

Back
Top Bottom