.40 vs 9mm I need the help of ODT

.40 or 9mm

• Total voters
is there a reason you guys prefer the .40? cause pending this thread im planing massive trading because I like to keep my ammo consolidated to of a few different calibers

This counts probably 50% towards my vote for 9. Plus the fact the I carried 9 on my hip for over 8 years on duty. My other choice is .45 acp. And I've had no problems finding .45 in target or PD carry. 9mm is a different story, as was .40. Both not so easy to find around here (Savannah). I carried a Glock 27 for back-up and off duty for years until I sold it. No prejudice against the round, just like to keep my pistol calibers to 9 and 45.

The chart should compare the 147gr 9mm to the 40,I don't dislike the 40 but to me it's always going to be the "I want to be a 10mm when I grow up" kinda round.

My information comes from a 30 year study of actual shootings, done by Evan Marshall and Dr. Marvin Fackler. The Federal 115 gr. +P+ JHP is what produces top results on the street in the 9mm with 92% one shot stops. I would not use a 147 grain load on anything but a paper target, as it racked up 65% one shot stops. Thats just 2% more than FMJ ball ammo, and overpenetrates to beat the band. The various 124 to 135 gr. loadings fall somewhere in between.
Evan Marshall was a Homocide investigator for Detroit PD, and Dr. Fackler was a forensic Medical examiner. The data assumes 1 solid hit in the torso.
I have personally used the Federal +P+ load for many years now, and the load clocks 1,350 feet per second (TRUE) on my chronograph from my 5" beretta 92fs. I have also used it on Game, and it is devastating.

My information comes from a 30 year study of actual shootings, done by Evan Marshall and Dr. Marvin Fackler. The Federal 115 gr. +P+ JHP is what produces top results on the street in the 9mm with 92% one shot stops. I would not use a 147 grain load on anything but a paper target, as it racked up 65% one shot stops. Thats just 2% more than FMJ ball ammo, and overpenetrates to beat the band. The various 124 to 135 gr. loadings fall somewhere in between.
Evan Marshall was a Homocide investigator for Detroit PD, and Dr. Fackler was a forensic Medical examiner. The data assumes 1 solid hit in the torso.
I have personally used the Federal +P+ load for many years now, and the load clocks 1,350 feet per second (TRUE) on my chronograph from my 5" beretta 92fs. I have also used it on Game, and it is devastating.

I, mtnsmith, should have noted that the I in the above quote is not mtnsmith as this is a paragraph I found in a search, and should have deleted the two sentences that begin with "I" as the only important info here is that from the two named experts, although the un-named person that posted the entire quote might be considered as having some value.

This is intended in a positive light: Did you price the ammo? Do you have ammo, or a source to get it from? Have you shot a course with both guns? Can you hit the broad side of a barn? Do you know you will be able to get regular cap mags for the 40's, or are you going to be happy with only one or two mags if a capacity limit is imposed? The one bit of advise I would give you is if you are happy with the above, don't sell what you have until all the bases are covered such as (10 mags and at least 1K defensive rounds plus practice rounds.)

this is a very good post because i hadnt really thought that much in depth about it, im loaded on all 9mm stuff and given the current situation i may not be able to find the adequate gear and etc if i were to make a switch

i edc both a cm40 around town here in the country and a glock 26 when i have to go to atlanta or any other more populated area. the caliber does not make as much a difference as shot placement does. i prefer the 10+1 of the the 9mm glock over the 5+1 of the cm40 when in a more crowded area. i shoot the glock alot better than the kahr. the long double action trigger of most striker fired autos, is in my opinion, just not as easy to shoot accurately as the almost perfect glock trigger. i would suggest you carry whatever you can be the most accurate with. a good center mass double tap with 115 gr federal 9mm beats a 180 gr 40sw shot to the shoulder or a miss. if you really want to know the truth about handgun effectiveness, then watch the video at the following link. it is a doctor giving a lecture on gunshot wounds and their effects on the human body. it is eye opening to see actual pictures of people shot with different calibers and their survival rates. i would ignore most urban legend and opinions. the fact you carry at all already puts you in a better position than 95% of the general population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA

Back
Top Bottom