.40 vs 9mm I need the help of ODT

.40 or 9mm

• Total voters
I carry 9mm because my wife does...I prefer us to use consolidated caliber...would prefer a .40 for me, but the previous is more important for me.

Very true, my walnart had about 200 rounds of .40 yesterday at least. All they had in 9mm is 2 boxes of 20 federal jhp's. They have pretty much had .40's this whole time where they will go a month without having 9mm

You're lucky. My Wal Mart has been out of all calibers going on 2 weeks now.

In my opinion you can ask all the advice you want. However my advice is go to the range with a Glock 19 and 23. See which caliber you like better. Does not have to be a Glock but something that will give you a good comparison of the round and not the firearm. I like the 9 and .40 also don't feel the snap of .40 like some claim.

This is the only answer you need.

If you prefer one to the other, then there you have your answer. Easiest answer, get both.

This is intended in a positive light: Did you price the ammo? Do you have ammo, or a source to get it from? Have you shot a course with both guns? Can you hit the broad side of a barn? Do you know you will be able to get regular cap mags for the 40's, or are you going to be happy with only one or two mags if a capacity limit is imposed? The one bit of advise I would give you is if you are happy with the above, don't sell what you have until all the bases are covered such as (10 mags and at least 1K defensive rounds plus practice rounds.)

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter too much to me, I'll carry whatever I feel comfortable shooting. I prefer a gun and a round that I can shoot well. Different weapon platforms recoil differently. I tend to be more recoil sensitive, it doesn't make me less of a man, I would rather be able to carry whatever round with whatever weapon platform I shot the best, in a stress situation. You will want to try and maximize the size of the round but staying within the weapon platform that you shoot best. I carry a M&P9c because it's the smallest, lightest recoiling, with good capacity I shoot well. I've owned a 40c but the I can personally tell the difference between the 9mm and 40 S&W rounds and how they recoil. I've also carried Glock's in 23 and 19 and the M&P recoils lighter than those platforms while being smaller than them for CC. I haven't shot a 4th gen Glock 19 which I've heard the recoil is alittle lighter so it's something I'm looking into. The 40S&W tends to make me flinch more... and you can't miss fast enough to kill someone in a defense situation. My suggestion is go to a range that you can rent a bunch of different guns and shoot them. Find which one YOU shoot best. Ergonomics of the firearm matter a lot, reliablity of the platform, size matters (what the purpose of the gun will be, home defense, CC, range toy), price, comfort level, the platform itself (different safeties, SA, DA, SA/DA, trigger feel and weight), CC options (such as holsters, price of extra magazines). I could go on and on. My point is, you test drive a vehicle before you buy it, test fire different weapon platforms before you buy into one or else you will be like 95% of the rest of us on here who have bought/sold/traded into platforms we ended up disliking.

It really boils down to what you like. I carried every iteration if the .40 offered by Glock, 22 on Patrol, 27 as an ankle gun, 23 as a Defective and whatever that long slided .40 version is (34 or 35) that was compensated. Yeah, it was stupid big to carry on duty. I grew to loath the .40. However, as was mentioned, it is more readily available than the other two popular handgun rounds (9mm and .45) so I picked up a .40 USPc. I'm going to get a threaded 9mm barrel for it to use as a suppressor host.

Back
Top Bottom