• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag crimp

While it's possible, I guess, to have "too much" crimp on a .44 mag., the first time one jumps the case and locks up your revolver, you will rethink the whole matter.

On any jacketed .44 mag round, I apply a "firm" crimp into the cannulure . I don't really know any downside to doing so, and plenty of downside to not doing so.

I wonder about "most forums" saying they don't resize revolver brass. If you don't resize the brass, it's obviously going to be too large to grip the bullet.

I had a Remington factory round lock up one of my revolvers last year, Remington was happy to send me a new box of ammo for it, I checked a few of the unfired rounds they all push back in the case with no pressure at all, im guessing the factory had the crimp die set wrong.

Just ordered lee crimps for 44 + 308.

The idea behind not resizing went, the brass expands to fit the chamber then when it cools it contracts some. I'm ok with resizing, it's just that once I resized and inserted the bullet, it seemed to comfort to the brass to tight.

Always resize your brass before reloading. That puts them back to the necessary tolerances so that they will hold the bullet and fit back in your chamber / cylinder. You should never try to reload without resizing the brass first. You should also resize new brass as the manufacturer does not always do it for you.

You do not have to trim revolver brass or most pistol brass. However, trimming is highly recommended for rifle brass.

Also, Always lube your rifle brass before resizing when you are using full length sizing dies. Lube is not necessary if you are only neck sizing rifle brass.

You do not have to lube the pistol brass before sizing as long as you are using carbide dies. Lube is required if you are using steel dies for pistols.

Just ordered lee crimps for 44 + 308.

The idea behind not resizing went, the brass expands to fit the chamber then when it cools it contracts some. I'm ok with resizing, it's just that once I resized and inserted the bullet, it seemed to comfort to the brass to tight.

Just remember, the crimp isn't intended to hold the Bullet in the case under recoil, the resized brass does. I've loaded many rounds that show that characteristic bulge, with no adverse effects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess that I missed the part about not resizing the brass?
if the brass is fired then it expands, true it contracts as pressure drops and it cools but it shouldn't return to original size.
that's the whole purpose of resizing the case.
remember that resizing doesn't just resize the out side but also the neck , etc.
even in using one particular rifle you still resize at least the neck to get appropriate neck tension on the projectile.

Back
Top Bottom