• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag

gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
started reloading 44 mag last night.

Accidentally seated a bullet to far into the casing a good bit, is it safe to shoot in a redhawk?

Also, I put 24 grains of h110 with a 240 grain lead. Did not see any reloading info on the Hodgdon website for a 240 lead, but they had 240gr cast.

Does doing this raise a red flag to anyone? all this ammo is going to be going through a redhawk

Accidentally seated a bullet to far into the casing a good bit, is it safe to shoot in a redhawk?

I've heard great things about the redhawks ability to take some pretty hot loads. However, If I load sopmething out of spec I either pull it or toss it. No need to risk my gun or face for one bad round. Just my opinion though.

I actually just got my bullets in yesterday to start loading 44mag as well.

Last edited:
Stuff i was reading was that as far as a reovlver is concerned if the over all length of the case can be worked in the action then it's good to go as long as it's the right caliber

If I seat the bullet to far down in the case and it is below the stated minimum overall length and I can not pull the bullet to save it to use again then I trash the whole case. Sometimes you have to toss a couple to get your die set to exactly where you want it. I'm still pretty new to reloading and some of the veteran reloaders will have better advice but I always try to stay on the side of caution. If it doesnt look right, measure right, or feel right into the bad bucket it goes. It's just not worth the risk to me.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a $10 digital caliper to hold you over untill you can get a nicer one. If you seated then bullet to deep it will build up preasure much faster then it is supposed too. You could have a serious problem on your hands. Not trying to be a party pooper I'm just pretty paranoid about what I reload and shoot.

If you ever have a question about "is a reload safe?" The answer is no.
Think about it. Reload cost < $1. Firearm > $400. Where is the risk to reward?

Back
Top Bottom