• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag

"Also, I put 24 grains of h110 with a 240 grain lead. Did not see any reloading info on the Hodgdon website for a 240 lead, but they had 240gr cast."

H110 is the same as 296, Hodgdon sells them both. An old RCBS listing lists 24.3 grains of 296 as 'Max' charge, this is with a mag primer. Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee, lists only the 'never exceed' charge of 25.0 grains of 296.

Cast bullets are, for the most part, lead. A listing for 'cast' is for lead bullets.

As for the overly seated bullet round, get a $20 inertia bullet puller and recover your bullet (unless it has been buggered up), powder, and primed case. These must be compressed powder loads. Deeply seated bullets will drive up pressures.
If it were me, I would pull all of the loadings you have with 24.0 grains of H110. One of the 'always' truisms is 'always start low and work you load up!', another is 'always use caution'. You are bumping max published loads with unknown component combinations. Also, ya want true MAGNUM out of your Redhawk, try jacketed bullets, it will save a lot of leading. My lead load is 5.6 grains of 231/HP38 for around 845fps from a 6 1/2 inch barrel. My jacketed load runs 1250fps. I only load 240 grain .429/.430 bullets and my jacketed load is with something called 630 powder, they don't make it anymore 8(

Please load safe and enjoy,

OSOK

as others have said if you take a higher end load and then shorted the over all lenght of the round, its' going to raise pressures. if you are close to max already that will/might send you over the max pressure. better to have a load longer than the stated length in the manual than to go too short.

cheap insurance to pull the bullet (or toss it) and start over. I do it every so often or if I buy rounds that I don't know the origin, I pull the bullets, toss the powder in the back yard (good fertilizer) and reuse the bullet and brass for another load where I know what's in it..

How much too deep are you talking about? In an emergency like that, get yourself a ruler (which everyone has around) and measure the thing. The maximum overall length should be 1.645 inches for a 240 grain cast/lead bullet which is right at 1 13/16 inches. If you are talking about a 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch, I would normally say shoot the thing. BUT with the load having 24 grains of H110, I say the same as everyone else and I will go a little further, pull all of the ones you loaded and try again. The Lyman #49 manual gives the max load as 23.5 grains. Neither the Hornady nor the Speer manuals even give a load for H110 with a 240 grain cast/lead bullet.

As I said the Maximum overall length is 1.645 and if I am reading this Lyman manual right, the Minimum length might be 1.610 which is 1 5/8 inch. Get a ruler or a tape measure and measure the cartridge length from base to tip of bullet.

The red hawk and super red hawk can take some monstrous loads that you would never, ever want to put in really any other guns but if you don't know then it's not worth it. What I'll do if I'm intentionally going to load hot is do it in 1/2 grain increments and make a batch and put each round or two that is the next step up in labeled ziplock baggies.... as you fire each set check the cases/primers for over-pressure signs (overly flattened primers or primers that flow back into the firing pin hole, really hard to extract cases etc)

As an example of what I mean when I say they take much heavier loads than you would use in almost anything else 1. the cylinder is purposely longer than most so that you can fit more powder in the case and seat the bullet further out than regular overall length. 2. Open the hornady reloading manual ... they have a completely separate section just for ruger red hawk/blackhawk safe loads vs regular pressures loads.

Check these out ... they're about as heavy as anything I would want to blast out of a 44 ... 330gr "super hard cast" bullets at 1400fps!
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html

Having said all of that if you have any that are even a little suspect for any reason (like the ones that are seated to deeply) .... get the $15 bullet puller ...

It's always better to pull the lead from from the cartridge than shrapnel from your face.

Last edited:
Having said all of that if you have any that are even a little suspect for any reason (like the ones that are seated to deeply) .... get the $15 bullet puller ...

It's always better to pull the lead from from the cartridge than shrapnel from your face.

Some of the best advice is so simple! That has to be considered for your signature line!

Back
Top Bottom