• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag

gth,

From what you have stated, I take it that you shoot at someone's range.
As I shoot across my front yard, I get the advantage and disadvantage of being able to shoot whatever targets I want.
I have found over the years that filling a 2 liter pop bottle with water and screwing the cap on tight, makes for a good target. The size is quite correct.
This also works well with little kids. Give them a hammer and one of these bottles and tell them to bust the bottle open. After the bottle has been pounded about for a bit, set the bottle out and pop it with a .45 or in your case, a .44. They will split and jump about.
Little eyes bug out and this impresses on them that 'guns' are not 'toys'.

I have a couple of S&W 29s and load two loading for them. One is 240 grain JHPs over some old WW630 powder (they don't make it anymore) and it pumps out at 1256fps (measured 10 feet out) from the 6 1/2 inch barrel. The second load is 240 grain lead SWC over 5.6 grains of 231 and they lumber out at 850fps. This is a very easy and accurate loading for my weapons, both of them. I would feel bad if I didn't hit a 2 liter bottle 5 out of 6 times at 50 yards over sand.

Many hunt with 44s. They seam to like super heavy loads with heavy lead bullets and from the reports I get, do well with them. I don't get to hunt much anymore and what hunting I do is not with a pistol.

Many years a go, I worked with a fella that carried a 4 inch Model 29. He wanted to shoot some one inside of a warehouse with it. (Don't get all upset, later he became the Chief of Police in a suburb town) I don't think he ever got to shoot inside a warehouse. I know that he was in a shoot out with some druggies one nigh, they lost. Don't know if he was still carrying that 44 then. Point is, if other can shoot and hit at 50 or 100 yards with a short gun, you can too. Just learn your weapon and practice, a lot.

You are a re-loader, experiment, try things that are new and different. Someone has already done 'it', so see how they did 'it' and try to improve on 'it'. There is the fun. Try no crimp and very heavy crimps, see what works the best for you. Change powders, bullets types and weights and primers. Only you will know what you are happy with. Keep trying until you get the results you want.

ALL WAYS USE GOOD JUDGEMENT and error on the side of safety.

The loads listed are safe in my weapons, loaded with my components. That does not imply that these loads would be safe in your weapon/s with your components. Always used published loading data from a know/trusted source and then start low and work up.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Chuckdog,

"I'd suggest a healthy crimp? A light crimp and magnums ain't worked well for me."

Good advise. I haven't used H110 in a 44.
I do use it in the 300 BlkOut with no crimp, but then no crimp grove or canalure and I have to keep the length correct to feed correctly.

With other powders, I have found no need to crimp. But that's not H110. Thanks for the info, some day I will run out of 630 and have to find a substitute. 296/H110 is a prime candidate.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Healthy crimp is needed to get the full benefit of H110/296.
That and it will prevent the bullet from jumping the crimp which will
tie up a wheelgun real quick.

Casted betwenn 25-30lbs of bullets today for mine.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom