• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45-70 for deer?

Yes, 45/70 will work. No one ever said otherwise. What I said is for 60 yard shots the 44 mag is the better choice in my opinion. Ammo is $1.50-$2.00 per round compared to the 45/70 at $2.50-$4.00 if you are limited to off the rack ammo and when you can find it. Recoil for the 45-70 is 30-37ft/lbs depending on ammo (which by most is considered to be somewhat harsh and hard to manage for a new or novice shooter) compared to 9-12 ft/lbs for the 44 and the 44 will kill them just as dead. Since the OP has both guns already the choice to me would be perfectly clear.

Well said Wes.
A 45/70 is a slow and fat round. It will do some damage, just like any high powered rifle round will.
To the O.P.
Yes, it’ll damage tissue, but I’ve had coke can sized holes in deer from a 30/06, 7/08, .308, etc. Heck, I’ve had a .223 Barnes TSX, placed right behind the shoulder inflict the worst damage I’ve ever seen on a deer. If you are bothered by the felt recoil of the 45/70 and you feel more confident with the .44 Mag use it. First pic is from a .223, second deer was shot with a 45/70, just behind the shoulder. 45/70 Exited on the right side….no huge hole.
IMG_5286.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

I think it's a bit overkill. If you were hunting bear 45/70 would be a good lever action gun.
Most hunting in GA is 100 to 150 yards. You would be much better off with a 308 either bolt or lever action.
Even, 243, 30.06 270 etc.
I'm looking for a 45/70 if you decide to get rid of yours.
I also may have a trade that would solve your problem. PM if interested.
Good luck.

To the OP I'd be asking how he is with recoil/what do you shoot better.
Injured my shoulder earlier in the year, won't be using my 444 or any of the other big boomers I've gotten side tracked with the last few years. Was even looking forward to carrying the 9.3x62 for a laugh at some stage.
Things change and all of a sudden recoil sucks, so snagged a deal of the day R92 44mag last week, can't wait to use it or a 22-250 I'd forgotten about but dug out of the safe.

I have a buddy that had a Ruger #3 45-70...he used it as his "loner gun" loaded it high as it would go!!! He liked to impress the "new" hunters....finally cracked the stock....wonderful round when controlled.....God awful when loaded to it's maximum!!

To the OP I'd be asking how he is with recoil/what do you shoot better.
This.

It's very likely that both rifles will be equally accurate if you're shooting them from a benchrest across sandbags taking all the time in the world to aim,

but under real world conditions out in the field, chances are the one that you shoot more often

...the that you're more comfortable with...

is going to be the best one to bag a deer with it less than 100 yards.

I'd go ahead and put that optic on your 44 magnum lever gun and use that.

I think that would be the best thing for practical accuracy under a time limit,

and plenty deadly at close range on the rather small whitetail deer that you find in the Southeast.

Back
Top Bottom