45 long colt issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

spar1790

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I am having an issue reloading my 45LC ammo. I have resized and deprimed, chamfered and deburred, trimmed all cases evenly, reprimed, charged with powder and when I go to seat the bullet it just slides all the way in without crimping. I followed the instructions on the RCBS website for die instructions to the "T" and every time it just goes to far. I am using once fired Winchester Cowboy brass and .452 230gr lead round nose bullets from Midatlantic Bullets. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you very much..

Ramrod is right...as usual. Lead 45LC should be cast at .454, jacketed comes in at .452. The 454 Casull was originally developed with lead bullets, thus the name. It is odd that they are selling lead bullets at .452.....not sure what to tell you do, though, aside from get new bullets...maybe you could try and bell the casings a little more to grab hold?

I guess I will go buy some and see if it works. Anyone know where to order them from? Its a little confusing seeing all these people talking about loading .452 cast and .451 jacketed in their 45 Colts and I cant even get the bullet to seat correctly.

Ok, so reading through one of my reloading manuals I stumbled across an article on 45LC. It stated that older guns "30-40+ years old" were designed for .454 bullets. Newer guns are designed for .452 bullets. Some older dies will not properly seat smaller bullets which is where I believe my problem lies. I bought the dies off of a member and do not know how old they are. I guess I will just buy a new set of dies and go from there.

Your problem is your inside sizing plug. It is .454" diameter for 45 Colt bullets. RCBS has very good customer service. Call them and tell them you need .451" inside sizing plug for 45 ACP bullets. I'd bet they would send you one free post paid. Good Luck and Happy Reloading
{most RCBS inside plugs have the diameter marked on the top :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom