• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 long colt issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
...It stated that older guns "30-40+ years old" were designed for .454 bullets. Newer guns are designed for .452 bullets. ...
Wow. I did not know that this was the case. I wonder if that is related to the "oversized throat" with the S&W model 25 issue I've heard so much about (but never quite understood).

I have been loading for .45 Colt since 1973 (OM Blackhawk, Vaqueros, S&W 625, Flattop BH).
I have never used any bullets except for .452. First, various gunshop bullets, then from Valiant when they were in business, later from GA Arms.
I never had any problems with leading, accuracy, or with bullets fitting correctly into resized cases.
I believe the OP's problem has to do with his resizing die and/or expanding die.

Mic the inside of your sized brass. I think if you contact RCBS they can help you. I think it is a die problem, not a bullet problem. I can load .452 and .454 lead in the same brass. It's not that big a size difference to slide right in.

I would suggest a die problem. Years ago I had a Lyman 310 tool that I tried to load .45 Colt on. The expander was the old .454 dia and the bullets just slid into the case. You could MAKE it work but was just too much work. I would almost guess that is the problem is die related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom