5/1 Update* Need neighbor advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got tired of waiting on the quotes from the surveyors. So, I pulled a string from corner to corner. Thankfully, my neighbor talked to me sober-minded and admitted that his driveway was way onto my property.

He wants to try and buy the land, so as to not lose his driveway. Need real answers; what is realistic $/Sq Ft? I don't want to sell my land to him, but his encroachment also doesn't really inconvenience me too badly. By my estimation, it is about 2,000 Sq ft that I would want him to buy (would need him to pay for a surveyor to confirm the area).

I have a real estate friend looking at comps for land lots in the area to help get a feel for the market and what it would cost per Sq ft. But I think I need to double the market price for my trouble, maybe. Idk.

I will update again as it develops.
remember you will lose more than just what is staked. easement and stuff like that.

To me you answered your own question when you said " I don't want to sell my land to him". Again, just my opinion but I do not see you feeling you need to kiss his ass and sell him YOUR property when HE is in the wrong. Did he take responsibility and offer to remove his encroachment?
He said it was on my property but never made mention of removing it, only compensation. The a-hole in me wants to just say tough shyte, should have poured it on your own property.

He said it was on my property but never made mention of removing it, only compensation. The a-hole in me wants to just say tough shyte, should have poured it on your own property.

It sounds like you want to keep your land, and rightfully so. If so, then make him remove the driveway. That's not being an A hole.

First of all there is no a-hole on your part. Ans secondly it is my stance that the biggest thing wrong with the world is that no one takes responsibility when they are in the wrong.

Mark my words, when you quote him a price per Sq ft he is not going to be happy and think you are being fair no matter the price you quote.

Just tell him you feel for him and hate (not sorry) that he screwed up but you are not interested in selling your property to make his bonehead mistake go away.

This is what is important : he didn't file any permits or get a survey before hiring a crew of guys to form out and pour the driveway. He also didn't attend the concrete pour so even if he knew the property line, he wasn't there to say anything.

Contact Planning and Zoning Department. They should have one of their inspectors pull your property plat and verify the facts. Most likely they will discuss his lack of permits with him (he'll have fun with that) and tell him he has to remove what he poured on your property.

My parents had hedges between their house and the neighbors. They were on our property clear as day. Neighbor decided she didn't like them. So one day after everybody left the house she dug up 20 feet of trimmed and maintained shrubs. My mother went ballistic. Ask the women what the hell gave you any inclination we would have given you permission to do that. We had the land surveyed and out those little orange flags out just to remind her to leave those areas alone. The the bitch started moving the flags to her advantage. Some people are born thinking they have the right to do anything they want regardless of who owns it. I went and dug off in her ass one day. Needless to say that crap stopped.
In your case just hope it's not some asshole like her. Bring out the surveyer and have two patrolman present just to make sure nothing happens. Coke heads can be a handful jacked up on that crap. Mixed with alcohol, lord have mercy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom