• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.45 bullets tumbling out of Spikes AR

Emmersom Biggens

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
I have a Spikes AR that I picked up second hand. The lower is marked multi-cal, and SBR, model ST15. It has a 16" barrel stamped 5.45X39 1/9. The bullets tumble right out of the gate.. at 10 yards the bullets literally hit the paper sideways, and tear a bullet shaped hole in the target. I've tried several kinds of ammo and different flash suppressors. I have several thousand rounds of the 5.45X39, and really like the caliber, but I'm ready to just rip the barrel out and and put a 5.56 barrel on it. Any ideas? I'm an avid shooter and reloader, but don't claim to be a gunsmith. Anybody got any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7020.JPG
    IMG_7020.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 72
I am no expert but I believe some barrels in AR15 and AK74 rifles had the wrong diameters,causing the exact same issues

I'm sure an expert will chime in shortly

Sounds like the barrel is either shot out-many rounds, rapid fire no cool down, or out of spec.

The cheapest solution, return it to the seller and request your money back. It's doubtful they were unaware.

Otherwise another barrel is the fix.

I've got the same problem with a s&w upper. Try the bullet test at the muzzle. If you insert a bullet at the muzzle it should just go to where the bullet get fat. If it goes almost to the casing the barrel is bored too large(probably .556).

Back
Top Bottom