• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

50 years ago....

Now that's what you call an education.
Hollywood rd, Bolton Rd, Jackson Pkwy, Bankhead Hwy, Northwest Dr. Rode my bike everywhere back then. Seems like race relations were better somewhat. Raised by grandparents and their attitude were we are not moving. We did move to Mableton by the time I turned 15

Did two years at Benedictine in Savannah.
That was 50+ years ago, probably still owe them some hours walking off demerits.
Taught me I was not cut out for the military.
View attachment 4244610

That sounds familiar. lol! Hell, one of the reasons I was sent there was because I didn’t like being told what to do. That was quite a shock to my system with all these goons yelling at everybody. I was the smallest kid there my first year, took a lot of ribbing for it too but it wasn’t too bad. Did a whole bunch of marching on a humongous field every Wednesday after class and all day Saturday, those of us who still had demerits at Christmas break and the end of the year had to stay two days later to do work details, that sucked.

I went to GMC Prep for high school (early 90’s). Not a boarding student, lived in Milledgeville. Turns out either I have a problem with authority or there is noting worse than a retired SSG (looking at you, Calvin Hill) trying to relive his DI bull**** ways on high school students. (maybe both, actually). I was in the top 5 all time for bullring hours walked. Also cadet of the quarter one time.
View attachment 4244744

Y’all probably whooped us in football, I don’t think our team won a single game the two years I went there. Is that the school that used to be Woodward Academy? We had a West Point grad running the military classes with a Sgt and a Master Sgt under him, he was a Lt Col but I can’t remember his name. Man, there never anything out of regs on that dude, moved like some kinda robot warrior. lol! Sgt McVey hadn’t been long out of Vietnam after doing 3 or 4 tours, that’s the guy nobody wanted to piss off, he’d make you do PT till ya puked. SOB dated my Mom a couple of times, military classes got a little awkward. lol! Our punishment for too many demerits was also called the bullring, I wonder how many other schools use that term? I thought it was a term made up at our school. lol! Oh yeah, you even looked like a troublemaker. Lol!

I turned 13 in November of '72. Didn't go to military school, but did enlist in '81.
View attachment 4244958

Thank you for your service my friend, my son was in the Air Force 2006-2012, at Balad Air Base Iraq in 2008 and in S. Korea at Kunsan AB in 2009. Started out in weapons on the F-16’s and was a SSGT with his own crew at Eglin AB when he got out, he was going to get Tech Sgt if he had reinlisted but it was time to get out. If the kid didn’t look so much like me I’d swear he was somebody else’s son, way smarter than his old man. lol! Him, his wife and two dogs have a beautiful place in Navarre Fl about 1.5 miles from the beach and now working at a job he likes (auto body, paint & machine shop) literally a half mile from the house. Gotta say I’m pretty proud of both my sons, oldest is still a batchelor but recently bought his first home, real nice place in LaGrange.

Rich folk

I can’t speak for the others but I know my Dad went deep in debt paying for me to learn how to mind my manners even though I still didn’t take kindly to being told what to do when I got out. Still don’t, hell it’s a miracle I’ve been married for 43 years. lol!

50 yrs ago I think I mite be been just starting to grow good.. in momma’s belly.. and Tazz Tazz your a true Tasmanian devil.. you was a hellun.. man the crap we could’ve done if we we’re running buddies

Dude, we would’ve got in so much crap my Dad would’ve probably locked us up. You know what they say about cops kids and preachers kids right? It’s mostly true, my best friend right before I got sent off at 12 years old was a preachers kid so we were always in more trouble than most kids being I was a cops kid. lol!
Hollywood rd, Bolton Rd, Jackson Pkwy, Bankhead Hwy, Northwest Dr. Rode my bike everywhere back then. Seems like race relations were better somewhat. Raised by grandparents and their attitude were we are not moving. We did move to Mableton by the time I turned 15

I lived in a lot of places around I-285 and inside the perimeter growing up but not that area, I lived in Cascade Heights at one time and a few other sketchy places. I lived in Riverdale before moving to Newnan in ‘78, it was still a decent town back then.

Y’all probably whooped us in football, I don’t think our team won a single game the two years I went there. Is that the school that used to be Woodward Academy? We had a West Point grad running the military classes with a Sgt and a Master Sgt under him, he was a Lt Col but I can’t remember his name. Man, there never anything out of regs on that dude, moved like some kinda robot warrior. lol! Sgt McVey hadn’t been long out of Vietnam after doing 3 or 4 tours, that’s the guy nobody wanted to piss off, he’d make you do PT till ya puked. SOB dated my Mom a couple of times, military classes got a little awkward. lol! Our punishment for too many demerits was also called the bullring, I wonder how many other schools use that term? I thought it was a term made up at our school. lol! Oh yeah, you even looked like a troublemaker. Lol!
We didn’t win many football games but we did beat Riverside all the time.

Georgia Military Academy is what became Woodward later on.

I was 13 in June of 73. I didn't go to military school but my dad was a lifer so it was like being in the military. He retired in 75 and I enlisted in 76, age 17.
basic 1976.jpg

Dude, we would’ve got in so much crap my Dad would’ve probably locked us up. You know what they say about cops kids and preachers kids right? It’s mostly true, my best friend right before I got sent off at 12 years old was a preachers kid so we were always in more trouble than most kids being I was a cops kid. lol!

I lived in a lot of places around I-285 and inside the perimeter growing up but not that area, I lived in Cascade Heights at one time and a few other sketchy places. I lived in Riverdale before moving to Newnan in ‘78, it was still a decent town back then.
I was very familiar with Cascade Heights. Grandad was born and raised in a little town next to Pulaski Tenn. if you know a little civil war history, birthplace of General Forest and a certain organization. I knew and study history at a young age and always thought it odd that we didn’t move out sooner. I can say that I made some close friends when I lived there and never really had any trouble. I think it really helped me a lot in my law enforcement career learning how to talk to people, that and walking into a pod with 30 inmates all charged with murder and being able to get your point across.

Back
Top Bottom