• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

$550 Daniel Defense Upper

Daniel Defense is one of the best makers in the business. They make a great rail and some of the best cold-hammer forged barrels in the industry. Hunng Hunng could probably jump in here and help out on specs or why it's "worth it".

heh, but @Wallace's @mtdawg169 & @GTRider245 cleared things up quite nicely, with a bow on it...in time for christmas too!

That is a nice deal too, if i hadn't just pieced a similar DD upper i would be on it...eh well, back to my super secret Colt Commando project...PIA!

All this back and forth got me worked up, went ahead and ordered the light weight mid-length with the 12.0 rail. I have a factory BCM lightweight upper and an "A2" profile premium upper by PSA (CHF "machine gun steel" barrel, HPT, MPI, etc.) to compare the DD upper to when I get it. I am guessing they will all be of comparable quality.

All this back and forth got me worked up, went ahead and ordered the light weight mid-length with the 12.0 rail. I have a factory BCM lightweight upper and an "A2" profile premium upper by PSA (CHF "machine gun steel" barrel, HPT, MPI, etc.) to compare the DD upper to when I get it. I am guessing they will all be of comparable quality.

That lightweight upper for $650 looks like a deal too! Must resist...

That's huge praise for the PSA CHF if you put them on part with BCM and DD.

That lightweight upper for $650 looks like a deal too! Must resist...

I have an illogical mental block against "lightweight" barrels. They supposedly lose accuracy as they heat up. I don't ever shoot enough for it to matter, but I always go with the regular profile barrels.

That's huge praise for the PSA CHF if you put them on part with BCM and DD.

I have an illogical mental block against "lightweight" barrels. They supposedly lose accuracy as they heat up. I don't ever shoot enough for it to matter, but I always go with the regular profile barrels.

I have a BCM lightweight middy. True, they do heat up and lose accuracy more quickly but they also cool down quicker. The heat/accuracy issue is not limited to lightweight barrels but the heat becomes an issue with fewer rounds since they have less material to absorb the heat.

I really like the lighter weight of my BCM vs. others with the M4, Socom or other barrel profiles. It's a trade-off for sure, but I was looking to shave a few ounces off of a rifle that I'd be carrying through the woods.

As for DD rifles - I don't own one because I think that their standard prices are a bit high. However, you almost never hear of anyone having issues with one. They are well built. If the western sports uppers are true DD builds - then they are a really good deal. I wonder if they aren't DD components assembled by another outfit. Regardless, DD makes good parts.

Ordered one of these this morning and already have shipping confirmation and a tracking number.
I talked to a representative from Western Sport yesterday as I had concerns whether or not these are parts bin DD uppers or actually made in Black Creek. He unequivocally stated they are 100% DD manufactured, but just not the latest model rails. Mine will be here Friday!

I talked to a representative from Western Sport yesterday as I had concerns whether or not these are parts bin DD uppers or actually made in Black Creek. He unequivocally stated they are 100% DD manufactured, but just not the latest model rails. Mine will be here Friday!

Yeah, someone has stated this already but it's basically a V2 upper. The good thing about these is they don't have the terrible bullet pictogram and model designation on the upper.

Back
Top Bottom