$579 AR 5.56 at PSA

As I've said before DPMS does take a few shortcuts from what I've seen in the production process. The gas key staking on the bcg was minimal at best. Also, the lightweight barrel seems like a good idea to save on weight but that ***** gets hot, fast.

Regardless, I had no issues with the one oracle that I owned. It's a great way to get ar's at a reasonable price point.

But I don't think that it compares to some of the bigger names and for my money I would pay another bill or two and go with someone from Windham or PSA.

I own several AR'S, (including a DPMS sportical mainly used for hog hunting).........but best for my money IMO.........DOUBLE STAR. NOT TOO HIGH, NOT TOO LOW...........JUST RIGHT.:pop2:

Last edited:
So you think there is no difference between a $500 AR and a $2000 AR? Accuracy, reliability, durability, fit/finish, and a rail system are a few things that come to mind.

I have shot cheap ARs that shoot less than 1MOA and have run for many thousands of rounds without a hick up. What you say is true about the look of the weapon and the rail systems, but I have never thought an AR was a particularly attractive weapon in any configuration and rails are cheap if you want them.

That's all I do and what 99.9% of all other guys do with theirs also. However, this is a hobby to me and I like "cool stuff". The higher end stuff is cooler to me. A "duty use" rifle doesn't have to be expensive. A Colt 6920 is a $1000 gun. If your only criteria is that is shoots, by all means find the cheapest thing you can afford.

That is a completely legitimate (and honest) reason to want a high end AR and I'm not being sarcastic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard the military has been monitoring this thread and is going to switch over to DPMS. Until this thread they didn't realize all ARs are the same. They feel kind of dumb for buying Colts all these years. :p

Our government at work. What would you expect? This would be the same department that decided to change to a high carbon powder, issue the original M16 with no cleaning kit and call it a "self cleaning rifle", right?

I really don't know. I just find it interesting that most guys seem to think the cheapest AR on the market is the same as the top-of-the-line.

Not the same, but very similar in performance. A hit is a hit and I have yet to hear about a budget AR that got worn out. Between myself and my daughter we have put many thousands of rounds through her low end DPMS with no problems at all. We have also run it very hard. Full mag dumps one after the other until the barrel is smoking. Again, no problems. The only negative I have to say about DPMS is that the trigger sucks on every one of them, but that's an easy fix if you want it. I have also owned two very different configurations of the DPMS LR308. I worked up a load for the 16" that would consistently shoot 0.63MOA groups and have the 24" now and have worked up a 0.198MOA load for that one.

Other than the trigger, what's not to like?

M110-SASS-1.jpg
Knight's Armament M110 SASS (US Army semi auto long range rifle). A semi auto that shoots 308 and is a sub MOA rifle. $6000.00

1682711_01_dpms_lr_308_640.jpg
DPMS LR308. A semi auto that shoots 308 and is a sub MOA rifle. $1200.00

Hmm, I wonder which one I WOULD NOT feel like an idiot for buying?

Last edited:
The DPMS brand is way underestimated by many people. I'm interested what defines "entry level" other than price. What's the real difference between a $600 reliable lightweight sporter that shoots inside 1.5MOA and a $1500 reliable lightweight sporter that shoots inside 1.5MOA?

I'm sure it's fine for the average shooter who'll hardly use it. As for the difference, quality of materials and features. We all know that most M4 fans want after-market parts. Might as well do the math and buy a rifle that someone has already set up the way you like or has parts you can take off and trade. This is the whole premise behind brands like Magpul.

Not trying to be snarky here but, it's been my experience that the person behind the trigger determines accuracy. Most of these rifles with a carbine and up barrel will shoot well out to the max effective range if the handler knows the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom