• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 Creedmoor

I have not been happy with the Hornady ELDX bullet specifically because I haven't gotten good exit wounds. I'd feel more confident in an old school interlock, which is what Hornady loads in their Whitetail Hunter line.

I have not been happy with the Hornady ELDX bullet specifically because I haven't gotten good exit wounds. I'd feel more confident in an old school interlock, which is what Hornady loads in their Whitetail Hunter line.

You don’t get exit wounds because the bullet dumps all its energy into the deer. I shot a doe at 80 yards with one and it leveled her. DRT. I’m sure Hornady has ballistic performance tests at different distances and for different cartridges for their ELDX. Don’t quote me on this but the ELDX starts doing complete pass throughs around the 300-400 yard mark. Here’s on some info from long range hunting on elk.

You don’t get exit wounds because the bullet dumps all its energy into the deer. I shot a doe at 80 yards with one and it leveled her. DRT. I’m sure Hornady has ballistic performance tests at different distances and for different cartridges for their ELDX. Don’t quote me on this but the ELDX starts doing complete pass throughs around the 300-400 yard mark. Here’s on some info from long range hunting on elk.

I think you're absolutely correct. Have heard the same. I've shot 2 bucks with that bullet. First was at 180 yards and second was at 100 yards. Both exploded internally on the opposite side ribs. Neither ran real far either. I'm just a terrible tracker and worry about not being able to find a deer if it bolts and drops in the woods. Good info in the link. Thanks.

While I haven't had the 6.5, I do have a 257wby. I've been using a 120gr spire tip. Good at any range. Disintegrates the lungs. They almost always drop where they're standing. I just looked it up, Winchester Power Points. That's my go to for my 308. 150gr for open plains and 180gr for brush hunting. I've taken a lot of deer with those.

You are touching on what few understand. Most have a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that its possible a heavier, larger, and faster bullet can be less effective for quick killing. People get all wrapped around caliber size, or speed or grain weight. The bottom line is its the perfect recipe of all of those combined with both your engagement distance and most importantly the type of game you are taking.

It is entirely possible to have a cartridge that is absolutely devastating on an Elk at 100 yards, that unbelievably produces less than desired results on Whitetail at that same distance. It's one reason the 25-06 is so devastating on Whitetail at nearly any distance between 100-400+ yards Not only does it have the speed to produce large temporary wound channels and hydrostatic shock, but the bullet weight of around 117 grains produces ideal expansion in the body of whitetail sized game, maximum energy dump and a second hole on the other side. Ideally you want maximum expansion, maximum energy dump and just enough oomph to push out a second hole. Too much oomph and you give up your expansion and energy dump.

The other huge misconception is that bang-flops occur because the animal is dead right there. The only DRT shot strikes directly some part of the CNS and destroys it. All other bang flops (like when you hit the shoulder or behind the shoulder) occur because the cartridge produces enough hydrostatic shock to create a shockwave that temporarily shuts down the CNS and the game immediately loses consciousness. If your bullet is also well placed and matched...the game bleeds out before ever regaining consciousness.

This is one reason if I am hunting with 6.5 CM, the preferred round is the 129 Browning BXR, its gets the velocity up a bit, and has good expansion. Good 130 grain pills at more velocity are a more effective killer than those grain weights in the 140 and up range...at least on whitetails. That being said, I still take out the front shoulder.....

Back
Top Bottom