• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 SPC shooters, I need your advice.

You can find Hornady American Gunner 200 round packs in 6.8 at a reasonable price. Will need to shop online for 6.8 deals.

Barrett has some very nice 6.8s - I have been watching a Barrett 6.8 12.5 for years but do not want to SBR.

I built a 14.5 6.8 ARP and pinned a FH to 16.

A lot of good information in here already. Let me add my two cents.

I have been a 6.8 shooter and fan for a number of years now. I’ve never owned either of these brands but bison armory and ar performance get a lot of praise on the 6.8 forums. I built my 68 upper with a YHM or stag barrel (I can’t remember) and it does very well for my purposes which are deer hunting within 200 yards. I believe my barrel to be 1.5 to 2.0 moa.

If I were buying now, I would find that outfit in TX building uppers with arp barrels or i would build my own with one.

I don’t think the price of the six8 justifies what you get. Also I’m not a fan of lwrc.

You’ll need to budget for stocking up on 6.8 if this is your shtf rifle as ammo availability can vary from time to time. Also grab a number of the specific magazines and an extra bolt or two.

Last be aware that some of the other brands will thread 68 barrels with 1/2x36 which is dumb if you’re looking to mount a suppressor. Make sure you get 5/8x24 if you’re mounting a can or want way more choices in muzzle devices.

Here is my 6.8 AR I built with ARP 14.5 barrel with pinned AAC FH. That is a Vortex Razor LH 1.5x8 on Aero mount.

Attachments

• 6.8_AR.jpg
    6.8_AR.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 14
Gotta ask, why 6.8 SPC for a SHTF scenario?

Seems like one of the more common calibers would suit the task better, and be a lot more forgiving on the wallet as well...

Seems like one of the more common calibers would suit the task better, and be a lot more forgiving on the wallet as well...
Balistics are much better on the 6.8 vs 5.56. I would guess he's assuming that if he's down to scrounging for ammo in a SHTF scenario that things have gone very south.

My primary AR I'd probably have my 6.8 barrel mounted up if need be, but can always swap over to my 5.56 barrel in about 5 minutes with the same upper. LMT is nice like that. :) Plus if you have multiple calibers, you can use whatever ammo you happen to find. :)

Basically, I want one primary rifle that has more punch than my 5.56 AR, and more accuracy than my Ruger Mini-30.

Because right now those are my two main rifles, but each one has a drawback. My Mini-30 hits hard, but my 5.56AR is way more accurate.

So I figure that a 6.8 AR will be a really nice compromise between the two.

But you’re right about ammo. This is only a viable SHTF rifle if I’m already prepped to be my own ammo factory. I already reload, but I’ve never touched 6.8 before.

I should add that my philosophy of use only needs this rifle to work out to about 300yd. But to be very hard hitting and accurate within that range.

If targets are beyond that range, I’ve probably got a good chance to either run away, or get my Rem 700 into action.

Basically, I want one primary rifle that has more punch than my 5.56 AR, and more accuracy than my Ruger Mini-30.

Because right now those are my two main rifles, but each one has a drawback. My Mini-30 hits hard, but my 5.56AR is way more accurate.

So I figure that a 6.8 AR will be a really nice compromise between the two.

But you’re right about ammo. This is only a viable SHTF rifle if I’m already prepped to be my own ammo factory. I already reload, but I’ve never touched 6.8 before.

I learned to load on the 6.8. I find it very doable to find multiple MOA loads, and usually a favorite .5 MOA load as well.

Lots of really good low data for the 6.8 on 6.8forumns as well

If you haven’t checked that out. You should check them out

Back
Top Bottom