• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 SPC shooters, I need your advice.

6.8 SPC ammo is no more expensive than most other center fire rifle cartridges. Yes, it is more expensive than 5.56 but then so is most other caliber cartridges. You can find sales on occasion for 11-12 per box which is pretty cheap really.

You could go with 6.5 Grendel (I can’t believe I just said that) and use the Wolf for range / practice while maintaining a stock of expensive, accurate ammo if the situation requires.

I tend to agree with ARP’s analysis though that 6.8 outperforms 6.5 G under 300 yards. It’s probably not by much though.

Ok, so after reading everyone’s advice and looking at the 68forums, here’s what I’m thinking:

I have a second 5.56AR that I never shoot. (In fact, it’s still NIB and just collecting dust).

So I’m just gonna get an ARP 6.8 barrel and convert it. I had hoped to sell it or trade it, but now it’s gonna be my 6.8 platform.

Yep. ARP website says that if you buy a barrel and bolt together, they’ll check headspace before it ships out.

That’s a great way to go!

Most people go with the 12 to 16 inch barrel. Anything over 16 inch doesn’t really benefit the 6.8. I believe all the powder is burned up at around 12+ inches. Unlike the Grindel which performs better with longer barrels.

I have been looking at the ARP 12.5” barrel for a while. Should make for a nice setup with a 308 can.

Back
Top Bottom