6"?

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
So I've decided to pistol hunt if/when I go again.
I have a 44 mag 6" but was considering using a 357 mag. Is the GA law still 6" barrel and if so, would I be better off with the 44 or is the 357 plenty? TY

It's been a while since I took the hunter safety course but I don't remember a barrel length restriction. I was told it had to be a center fire round capable of delivering 500 foot lbs at 50yds. That seems kind of subjective though and I don't see any mention of that in the regs.

roy d...but a real hunter/DNR infiltrator will be along soon enough with an answer

The .44 is more likely to drop them. The .357 is marginal at best, though indeed it will kill a deer. (Someone will be along in a minute to refute all of this) hunting with a handgun is very similar to bow hunting in limiting range to what you are competent at and picking your shots well. As in bow hunting, pick a spot on the deer, don't just aim at the deer. Good luck.

Took a deer a few years back with my Ruger, but only because he was about 25' outand not a monster. He dropped on the spot, but it was because it was a perfect heart shot and won't do it again.

image.jpg
My cousin bagged several deer with an 8" barreled .357 wearing a red dot optic.

I have a 6" with open sights, and I'd use it with confidence-- but only at "archery" ranges. Out to 30-40 yards, tops. Due primarily to accuracy in my hands, not the ballistics of the round.

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on shooting over 50 yards. I may go a bit more once I can constantly put rounds in a paper plate at a XX distance. ATM I'm using irons and feel comfortable at 50 or less but have made a few inconsistent 100 yards shots unsupported.
May wind up putting an optical on it. Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom