• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

69 Camaro rewired!

Damn good job..didnt know you did that kind of work..got a shop? need more side projects..people ask me all the time i just dont have the patience anymore
LOL! I'm finding there is a pretty big market for my skills but I'm content sitting at my desk doing IT work... I don't think I could charge enough to make it worth my while. I do love working on things like this though. If only I had more time....

Re-wiring an old car and retro fitting it with modern components are two totally different things.

As I stated in my first post which you quoted. You want to keep going?

Besides that, the stock location of my 71 has the fuses mounted up under the dash which you can somewhat see with a mirror but really you have to lay on your back with your chest almost touching the steering wheel and your feet on the headrest with a crick in your neck that only a chiro would like. Or take the seat completely out, which is what Ive done. That's just to get to the fuses much less do anything.

Further, the instrument panel is all printed circuits, which to get at is a bear of a job just to get to much less fix. And some of the wiring does not match the diagram so you are forced to split looms/tape to chase individual circuits. Throw in some crusty connections on ancient wiring that have to be chased down and I stand by my statement that old wiring is a pain.

We went with the $550 option! BUT... it's not turn-key! There is a lot of cutting and crimping though they do have provisions for resto-rod wiring! The really nice thing is the wires are labeled so it's pretty nice being able to read the writing on the wires after running them through the firewall and all...

Yup, Im doing the same thing next time!
I'll get the fuel injection looms/harness prefabbed it makes it so much easier and quicker to converge with the existing. Congrats on the job.

RIGHT! What was I thinking!
Here's a short video, couldn't run it long, no cats and it runs rich still...
I like the sound of the Camaro.......but not as much as the ZR-1 LT5 startup video you posted! Sounds hungry like it's about to eat something! Cool video's! Thank's

Last edited:
It was the painless kit (don't let that label mislead you though!). There were several pains that I had to deal with but color coded and labeled wires made things soooooo much easier!
that's what i found..they give you plenty ..i mean plenty of extra wire...most end up in the floor,but otherwise a good kit with lots of instructions..thick manual

Camaro Sept 07 f.JPG

Good job. I got tired of my car suddenly dying on my so I had it rewired. My mechanic had just got through rewiring his '68 Firebird so it was still fresh in is head when I had him rewire my '67 Camaro. Zero electrical problems since then....

Don't crush them....restore it. The original recycling!
jd

Sweet JD! That is beautiful!!

Here's a touch of custom on the '69:
walshsouth.com_forum_20151202_201537.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn't make it to C&O, things got too hectic and if you don't get there at 6am, you don't get a spot!

Next year :)

Back
Top Bottom