6mm/.244rem question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefsquirrel83

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
8   0
Reaction score
Might be buying a Remington 722 .244 Rem(now 6mm rem) from a buddy of mine but wanted to know if anyone uses it for deer hunting??? Ammo seems easy to find thats a +

The 244 Rem barrel will have 1 in 12" twist rifling. Supposedly, this was optimum for lighter weight bullets, but not adequate for bullet weights of above 80~ gr. The later 6 mm Rem barrels have 1 in 9" (or 10"?) rifling and are able to stabilize heavier bullets in the 100 gr range.

I've used several 6mm's for deer over the years. Typically the factory available bullets have a terrific bc an tend to perform much better int he field than indicated on paper.

I have a 6mm rem model 788, that has killed many deer and yote's. It was my pops before me and did the same when it was his. Low recoil and a flat shooter. I hunt both deer and yotes with it using 100gr hornady spbt. I have had a few bullets come apart resulting in poor penatration, hornady's fault not the rifle's. Awesome gun IMHO.

The 722 is a great old rifle. It's plain looking but all of them I've seen are real shooters. Had a buddy once that had one in 257 Roberts. The barrel was about shot out of it but was still deadly accurate. Enjoy yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom