• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.5 SBR build

I know for a fact, that I have previously posted video PROOF that the Spikes STT2 is nothing more than a crappy gimmick. It is LESS effective at controlling bolt bounce than a milspec buffer of appropriate weight.

66dbabf73fbe878358346f1dc0ff3836.jpg
Now that's funny

I looking for your opinions for my 7.5 inch SBR build. It is going to be set up to run a suppressor. I will list what I need and have below.

Upper:
Adams Arms 7.5 Evo upper
Magpul Pro sights (on order)
AAC muzzle brake (on order)
Magpul forward grip

Lower
Aero Precision stripped lower (with stamp)
Magpul SL-K buttstock (on order)
Magpul grip

I'm mainly interested in hearing about what buffer tube and spring you would use and what your favorite lower parts are (kits or individual parts).

Thanks in advance guys!
View attachment 1054199
Here's what I would recommend for a suppressed, super shorty:

Vltor A5 buffer system with either an A5H3 or A5H4 buffer and a Springco Green rifle spring. (probably A5H4)

The Vltor A5 buffer tube can be substituted with either of the following if necessary:

BCM intermediate length receiver extension

Magpul SR25 receiver extension

I've posted ad nauseum about the Vltor A5 buffer system. A simple search here on the forum or on m4carbine.net will explain what it does.

And here's a demonstration of why the Spikes STT2 is a gimmick. Pay close attention to the carrier as it returns to battery. In some cases, you will see it bounce slightly as it impacts the barrel extension. The shorter the gas system, the higher the pressure involved and the higher carrier velocity can increase this effect known as bolt bounce. In worst case scenarios, it will cause malfunctions. In a 7.5 pistol gassed gun with a suppressor is about as worst case as it gets. The short system length and short dwell time, require a Pam Anderson sized gas port (after Tommy Lee).

In the video below, you will see that the STT2 is outperformed by H and rifle buffers and is similar in performance to a standard Carbine buffer. Keep in mind that it weighs more than an H buffer.

It's a waste of money. But hey, if you want to be that fool they talk about separating from his money, be my guest.

Mtdawg, out.

And here's a demonstration of why the Spikes STT2 is a gimmick. Pay close attention to the carrier as it returns to battery. In some cases, you will see it bounce slightly as it impacts the barrel extension. The shorter the gas system, the higher the pressure involved and the higher carrier velocity can increase this effect known as bolt bounce. In worst case scenarios, it will cause malfunctions. In a 7.5 pistol gassed gun with a suppressor is about as worst case as it gets. The short system length and short dwell time, require a Pam Anderson sized gas port (after Tommy Lee).

In the video below, you will see that the STT2 is outperformed by H and rifle buffers and is similar in performance to a standard Carbine buffer. Keep in mind that it weighs more than an H buffer.

It's a waste of money. But hey, if you want to be that fool they talk about separating from his money, be my guest.

Mtdawg, out.

But you still have to grease your spring to cut down on wear, right?

If you start a blog, I swear I will be a daily reader.

Let me know if you want help with the name, I gots some good ones.
I don't have time for that. All I try to do give some advice based on what I have tried and discounted due to some funky noise or cheap attribute with a particular item. I have finally come up with a recipe of parts that provide that high end result that I can reproduce. It took many builds but I learned what I did and didn't care for in the process. The parts aren't the most expensive but not the cheapest either. It took a couple of years of trying this and that and there are a lot of sub par parts to sift through. God knows I spent a hefty coin wading through order after order, purchase after purchase but in the end I found the parts that work and work well. If I can help some along their way through the building process I am happy I could help. However each will have to experience their process of elimination on what parts they like or dislike. I like to think some of advice sticks and if it doesn't no big deal. At least I tried.

I planned on a kittykat SBR using a pigtail gas tube until I read about the damage to a suppressor. Ended up with 10.5 and 11" uppers. Easier recoil and no damage to the suppressor. Used the LWRc Ultra Compact stock and it is short enough for me.

But you still have to grease your spring to cut down on wear, right?
Oh yeah, definitely. I actually shoot Lucas Red n Tacky into about half the receiver extension. That way, when the gun cycles, it self lubricates. It's a little messy, but it doesn't make any noise.
I don't have time for that. All I try to do give some advice based on what I have tried and discounted due to some funky noise or cheap attribute with a particular item. I have finally come up with a recipe of parts that provide that high end result that I can reproduce. It took many builds but I learned what I did and didn't care for in the process. The parts aren't the most expensive but not the cheapest either. It took a couple of years of trying this and that and there are a lot of sub par parts to sift through. God knows I spent a hefty coin wading through order after order, purchase after purchase but in the end I found the parts that work and work well. If I can help some along their way through the building process I am happy I could help. However each will have to experience their process of elimination on what parts they like or dislike. I like to think some of advice sticks and if it doesn't no big deal. At least I tried.
I'm sorry, but trial and error is no excuse these days. There's this amazing thing called Google available. And these really neat things called Forums. There's an amazing amount of knowledge available to those who want to actually learn something, are willing to invest time into some due diligence and have the ability to discern good information from horse****.
What's wrong with a Griffen armament buffer tube, AR-SOB
Dunno? Never heard of it. I did just Google it though! It may be the best thing since sliced bread. Or, it may not. I'd want to see some third party testing and feedback before buying into their sales pitch though.

Back
Top Bottom