7.62x39 and other brass price question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone loads 7.62x39 and could tell me what the fair market price for once fired brass. Trying to see if it would be beneficial for me to purchase my bulk ammo in brass or steel. There appears to be roughly a $0.08 difference between the two.

Also is there anywhere to look to see what the going rate for brass for different calibers are? I've looked at the Brass Exchange but some arent listed(like 44). Not sure if some arent worth reloading or just arent in steady supply. It seems that it's almost easier to buy smaller caliber bullets like 9mm and 380 then to reload them, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I try to shoot brass over steel case but trying to make sure Im shooting as financially smart as possible. If I can shoot a higher quality round and recoup some of the difference by selling the brass to a local reloader then it's a win win.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I load the Ruskie round for a bolt rifle. I suspect that I'm in a very small minority. You may find a commercial user that can use them, but I doubt you'll find many takers for 7.62 X 39 brass.

As for pricing, Midway, Powder Valley, and other places that sell new brass is worth a look. I ain't gonna pay more than about half the new price for used.

You may check with Ga. Arms in V.R.

I load for everything I own. I don't just shoot to be shootin' though, so it's worth it to me.

For many, 9's, 38's, .223's, and 7.62 X 39's shootem' up ammo is what they prefer.

Brass will recycle though, you may look at scrap dealers and see what they're paying if Ga. Arms can't use them

Check midwayusa.com for lists of brass and prices. You are right about sometimes it being cheaper to buy than reload on some stuff. If you are thinking about buying once fired, that can save a lot, but be aware that if it's military you will have a crimped primer to deal with. Most of the time it's no problem to get the fired primer out, but you will need to remove the crimp to re-prime the brass. In my experience swagging does not work well at all, so you will need to cut the crimp away. This is not much of a problem as long as you have the right tool and it does add a step in the reloading process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom