• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

75k auto service cost question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Subaru Outback AWD.

We have used the same mechanics for years and I’ve always found them exceptionally reliable and honest. There’s a newer guy at the desk, and for some reason I just don’t like him as much as the previous guy, who is one of the owners.

My wife took the car in for 75k inspection / service today and was quoted:

$775 for rear bearings
$470 for plugs & wires
$360 for differentials / trans fluid

are those reasonable rates?

I've used 5 Star in Athens for years, really good guys, really straight up, impeccable local reputation.

Honda Pilot, REAL 4WD, at 150,000 miles, had the last two done, you are right in the ball park.

Have a V-6. Mounted sideways, looked at the videos, you have to basically take the top end off to change the plugs on the back bank. Plus the plugs are $15 each,. Don't know what's involved with Subaru Boxer engine, but probably not easy.

I bought the fluids for the trans and diff, (what I like about 5 Star, they don't get pissy about installing purchased parts) and it was close to $100. Some kind of magic Japanese goo. Don't know about Subaru, but Honda and the internet (s0 you know it has to be right) emphasize using factory fluids.

My only question on your bill is who decided it needed rear bearings. The rear bearings are only stressed when the AWD drive kicks in, They should easily last for the life of the car. 2017 shouldn't be needing rear bearings on a front wheel drive. car. I definitely would need an explanation on why the bearings were so worn - if there's some kind of misalignment, it's going to happen again. 75K on any wheel bearing without some alignment issues is absurd. Was an alignment included in the service - the rear wheels need to be aligned.

I've used 5 Star in Athens for years, really good guys, really straight up, impeccable local reputation.

Honda Pilot, REAL 4WD, at 150,000 miles, had the last two done, you are right in the ball park.

Have a V-6. Mounted sideways, looked at the videos, you have to basically take the top end off to change the plugs on the back bank. Plus the plugs are $15 each,. Don't know what's involved with Subaru Boxer engine, but probably not easy.

I bought the fluids for the trans and diff, (what I like about 5 Star, they don't get pissy about installing purchased parts) and it was close to $100. Some kind of magic Japanese goo. Don't know about Subaru, but Honda and the internet (s0 you know it has to be right) emphasize using factory fluids.

My only question on your bill is who decided it needed rear bearings. The rear bearings are only stressed when the AWD drive kicks in, They should easily last for the life of the car. 2017 shouldn't be needing rear bearings on a front wheel drive. car. I definitely would need an explanation on why the bearings were so worn - if there's some kind of misalignment, it's going to happen again. 75K on any wheel bearing without some alignment issues is absurd. Was an alignment included in the service - the rear wheels need to be aligned.
I checked with the local Subaru guys. They said it’s not uncommon to replace at this mileage.

I checked with the local Subaru guys. They said it’s not uncommon to replace at this mileage.
Well. o.k. then.

I still think it's BS. I've taken all my vehicles since 1968 to 250-300.000 miles and never replaced rear wheel bearings. Closest thing was a F150 4WD with 200K where I replaced the entire rear end because that was cheaper than rebuilding the differential.

I've never heard of rear bearings being a routine maintenance item.

My SO has had 3 Subarus with over 150K, one with 300K. and never replaced the bearings.

If that's what they are saying, then I guess that's what they are saying.

Are they saying to replace the bearings as preventitive maintenance or because the bearings are going bad? Id have them put it on the lift and spin the rear tires to see if the bearings are singing.

2017 Subaru Outback AWD.

We have used the same mechanics for years and I’ve always found them exceptionally reliable and honest. There’s a newer guy at the desk, and for some reason I just don’t like him as much as the previous guy, who is one of the owners.

My wife took the car in for 75k inspection / service today and was quoted:

$775 for rear bearings
$470 for plugs & wires
$360 for differentials / trans fluid

are those reasonable rates?

As a mechanic I can tell you I replace rear wheel bearings on Subarus very regularly and within that mileage. I can also tell you that Subarus rust like crazy even down here, so extra labor night be needed on this job. I can also tell you that you will hear them driving down the road if they are bad. You also might just have one bad some shops will recommend both be done at the same time, which isn't a bad idea in my opinion but it also isn't necessary in all situations. As far as price goes I have no clue I turn in tickets and get them back with with the work I have to do and no dollar amount attached to it. But if they are using quality bearings that price doesn't seem outrageous to me. Because it's likely an hour a side so knock off 200 for labor so 275ish a bearing seems right to me.

You don't have wires on a 2017 outback you have coils which don't need to be replaced. Your car also calls for plugs at 100k I believe. Just

As a mechanic I can tell you I replace rear wheel bearings on Subarus very regularly and within that mileage. I can also tell you that Subarus rust like crazy even down here, so extra labor night be needed on this job. I can also tell you that you will hear them driving down the road if they are bad. You also might just have one bad some shops will recommend both be done at the same time, which isn't a bad idea in my opinion but it also isn't necessary in all situations. As far as price goes I have no clue I turn in tickets and get them back with with the work I have to do and no dollar amount attached to it. But if they are using quality bearings that price doesn't seem outrageous to me. Because it's likely an hour a side so knock off 200 for labor so 275ish a bearing seems right to me.

You don't have wires on a 2017 outback you have coils which don't need to be replaced. Your car also calls for plugs at 100k I believe. Just
Thanks.

I called the Subaru dealership, who quoted a price of $650 per SIDE to replace. So maybe the $750 for both is a good deal after all. He also said the same thing - replacing them at 75k is very common.

WallsGa WallsGa
Get them to agree to “not to exceed price” on the bearings regardless of time. The Subarus are notorious for completely seized inner race when doing the bearings.
What they have quoted you for the whole thing is fair, and they are probably want to get it done before it’s a whole ordeal when it shouldn’t need to be.

G gh1950
Your statement of “The rear bearings are only stressed when the AWD drive kicks in” doesn’t apply here. Subaru is AWD all the time.

WallsGa WallsGa
Get them to agree to “not to exceed price” on the bearings regardless of time. The Subarus are notorious for completely seized inner race when doing the bearings.
What they have quoted you for the whole thing is fair, and they are probably want to get it done before it’s a whole ordeal when it shouldn’t need to be.

G gh1950
Your statement of “The rear bearings are only stressed when the AWD drive kicks in” doesn’t apply here. Subaru is AWD all the time.

That will likely get him cheap parts that won't last. Things happen when your working on cars that can't be controlled. If it takes an extra hour because of rust then I'd pay it just to insure the job was done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom