• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9/14 pm

sprewett

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Who's out?
I'm in a hardwood creek bottom on private land in Paulding. Praise the Lord for the rain when I came in was able to sneak in without making a peep. Saw a group of does Sunday evening came into 16.5 yards but I couldn't get pulled back on em without getting busted.

Somehow beat the rain today and got the food plots in.

37899.jpeg

This is my rookie year bow hunting and today I got to pull back on my first deer, a doe. My nerves got to me and I rushed the shot. I made a clean miss. Oh well at least I didn't wound her.
Hopefully, I will get another chance before the hunt is over.
Thats awesome that you had an encounter! I’ve been bowhunting for 34 years now and I still get all tore up when I get a shot opportunity!
Make a mental checklist for yourself, rehearse that in practice and make it become second nature. Lastly, pick a tuft of hair, part of a leg crease, etc as your aiming point, not the vital area in general. Stay focused on that one tiny spot and itll help tremendously.
Overcoming the nerves is the toughest part, but its also what makes archery hunting so darn fun!
Keep at it and Im sure that you will connect with one real soon!

Thats awesome that you had an encounter! I’ve been bowhunting for 34 years now and I still get all tore up when I get a shot opportunity!
Make a mental checklist for yourself, rehearse that in practice and make it become second nature. Lastly, pick a tuft of hair, part of a leg crease, etc as your aiming point, not the vital area in general. Stay focused on that one tiny spot and itll help tremendously.
Overcoming the nerves is the toughest part, but its also what makes archery hunting so darn fun!
Keep at it and Im sure that you will connect with one real soon!
I ended up having another group of mature does come in. Closest came in to 7 yards! Those big does were not near as careless as the one I shot at. It was a stand off for sure. Finally they let their guard down head behind a patch of oaks I pulled back forgetting about the one directly under my stand! The blowing and running commenced. 8 deer and 4 raccoon making tracks. What a hoot! I'm gonna let that stand cool off for a while after all that.
Saw about 9 deer in total this evening.

I don’t get adrenaline dumps anymore.
Everyone says to quit hunting when you no longer get excited.
It’s not that…I still get excited but it’s something I taught myself over the years while walk /stalk hunting.
You gotta have a cool head when you walk up
On a herd of deer with the goal
In mind to shoot the biggest one when they all have their heads down or to reload your crossbow in the tree after busting one then going for a twofer or a three fer.
I have some stories…but I’ll keep this short.

I don’t get adrenaline dumps anymore.
Everyone says to quit hunting when you no longer get excited.
It’s not that…I still get excited but it’s something I taught myself over the years while walk /stalk hunting.
You gotta have a cool head when you walk up
On a herd of deer with the goal
In mind to shoot the biggest one when they all have their heads down or to reload your crossbow in the tree after busting one then going for a twofer or a three fer.
I have some stories…but I’ll keep this short.
Nah. Tell the stories lol.

Who's out?
I'm in a hardwood creek bottom on private land in Paulding. Praise the Lord for the rain when I came in was able to sneak in without making a peep. Saw a group of does Sunday evening came into 16.5 yards but I couldn't get pulled back on em without getting busted.
Just make sure to avoid eye contact lol…I’m serious.

Back
Top Bottom