• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

95 F150 tire issue

Leatherneck

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
56   0
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Ford F 150 4 X4 truck. Last year I installed a one and a half inch leveling kit. The truck has 16 inch wheels with 285 tires. As you can see from the picture it is wearing very badly on the inside of the tires are a month-and-a-half old, have 1500 miles on them and were.brand new when I bought them. I replaced both front tires and had it aligned. The back tires have no unusual wear.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to correct whatever is causing this excessive tire wear?
IMG_20170415_132639831_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170814_203231024.jpg

The king pins are what the wheel rotates on when turning. Jack it up on that side an inch or 2. Put a pry bar under the tire and lift up some. If it pivots up on the outside the pins are worn. Also while jacked up on one side. Grab the tire and jerk it like it's making a hard turn if the wheel pivots side to side easily without the steering wheel moving much you have wear in the steering some where. Probably at least the tie rod ends. Push in and out. If it clunks and moves quite a bit it might need bearings.

Good video to check out your problem. If this all checks out. It's probably a bad alignment. Getting an alignment with these issues is pretty much a waste. They should have checked this stuff and told you but who knows.

Also, when you lift one, if you do not use wedges, you can alter the camber. Camber is pretty much built in on straight axles like you have, but can be adjusted with adjustable ball joint conversion (you do not have king pins, you have small upper and lower ball joints on the axle housing).

Back
Top Bottom