• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

99 miata question

sniper22

Eagle Icon Lifetime Supporter
Aspiring Christian
203   0
Reaction score
Who's our resident Miata expert?
I have a 99 1.8L automatic. It will be fine one min and skipping like crazy with the engine light flashing out of the blue. I can hook up the scanner and ony get a multiple misfire code and O2 sensors code. I can reset the computer and it'll be fine for 20 miles or so. Put new plugs and wire in but am hesitant to do anything with the coils just because they're $300ish.
If it weren't for the fact that I can reset the computer and it stops, I would be more likely to change the coils.

If the coil pack is mounted on the firewall like our 96, then you can bet that is the issue. All that heat from the engine just wears the pack down. Speaking from experience.
I've considered that but it don't make sense that I can reset the codes and it clears right up
I know it has to be at least part of the issue since its 23yrs old.. I'll order one now and report back in a few days.

I've considered that but it don't make sense that I can reset the codes and it clears right up
I know it has to be at least part of the issue since its 23yrs old.. I'll order one now and report back in a few days.

Could possibly be cooling off just enough not to show up when you reset, IDK...but I've experienced this with two different NA Miatas. One auto and the other manual. Good luck!

Could possibly be cooling off just enough not to show up when you reset, IDK...but I've experienced this with two different NA Miatas. One auto and the other manual. Good luck!
Heck, I reset it this evening while pulling into academy and it cleared up before I parked. I do know the coils will do that and I bet most of this is just coincidence

Also got a o2 sensor code and the top fix was to replace the catalytic converter

I’m betting catalytic converter. Just went through what sounds like the exact same thing on a Nissan Frontier. When you clear the computer it’s fine up until the o2 sensor says hey we got a problem and then you get skipping

Back
Top Bottom