• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm / .45acp Powder Recommendations

Petro_58

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
20   0
Reaction score
I've came into a Lee Loadmaster Progressive Press through a deal. We've got most all the stuff for it, the Pro Auto Disk powder thrower with the Adjustable Charge Bar and Double Disks too. And still picking up a couple things but their on the way. I' loaded 90 .45 ACP the other night quite Nicely using 2 different powders. Titegroup and Unique, not real happy with the Unique and the Pro Auto throw but Unique is a witch anyway with most throwers.
So now down to the Question at hand. Curious what you guys may be using with this type setup and what Powders seem to work better with it for the 9mm, .44spl/mag and .45acp. And maybe what Tweeks our Geeks have come up with to do. I'll say for the moment I'm pretty impressed with the .45 acp I loaded, as far as speed and what appears to be the quality of the finished rounds. After many years reloading with my Lyman All American turret and RCBS Single Stage press, I've always been curious about the Progressive Koolaid, guess I'll find out now!

Just looking for some other Options and Ideas.
9mm
115 gr plated
115 JHP
147 JHP

44 spl
200 gr lrnfp
240 gr lrnfp/ lswc

45 acp
185gr lswc
200 gr lswc
230 gr lrn

Last edited:
I use Unique and Bullseye for both 9mm and .45ACP... they are not the cleanest shooting powders, but they are what I happen to have a lot of.

Now that I've started loading subsonic 9mm, I really need to find some other kinds to try.

I'll check the books and see what works for the calibers/weights you have listed.

Unique and Titegroup have been 2 of my go to powders for years. Unique just a witch to meter consistent on most throwers, and hard to find. Down to my last 1.5 lb's, and haven't seen any at the Shows in MONTHS. Most of the Powder Folks laugh when you mention Unique. And I can't say I've found a Load using Unique that I like for my 9mm Cougar.

I used bullseye for a while because that was all I could get, Its very reliable and consistent. My favorite is universal but it can be smoky at milder loads and has been hard to find.
Have used a bit of hp38 and no complaints

I like Accurate #5 and HS-6 for 9MM, 38 Super, 10 MM and 45acp myself.
both are small spherical powders and meter very well, they also typically produce near top performance in the calibers mentioned.
Not sure about 44 special??
magnums need H-110, 2400, 0r Win 296 in my opinion, if you aren;t going for magnum performance why shoot a magnum?

I like Accurate #5 and HS-6 for 9MM, 38 Super, 10 MM and 45acp myself.
both are small spherical powders and meter very well, they also typically produce near top performance in the calibers mentioned.
Not sure about 44 special??
magnums need H-110, 2400, 0r Win 296 in my opinion, if you aren;t going for magnum performance why shoot a magnum?

I agree whole heartedly on these powders for the .44 mag and I'll ad Unique and Titegroup. Problem is, with age unfortunately comes health issues and sometime ya just got to accept that your aren't the Young Gun ya used to be. My hands and wrists after years of hard work just can't handle the full power loads of the .44 magnum, and I had considered getting rid of both mine. However because I reload I can taylor my loads to my needs. Either load them to Low power .44 mag or load the .44 special which is my choice.

Back
Top Bottom