• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm / .45acp Powder Recommendations

I've been using longshot since it seems to be available around Atlanta. Getting decent velocity and function out of 9 and 45. Haven't really tested accuracy yet but it seems decent.

I used to use W231/HP38 for most of my midrange loads in 45acp & 9mm. Haven't been able to find it the last couple of years, so I've moved over to my old shotgun standbys, Red Dot & Unique. Have had no problems metering in any of my measures.

For .44 Spl, I like 7.5 gr of Unique behind a 240-250 LSWC for about 900fps. You can use Unique in the .44 Mag case, but you'll have to increase the load for equivalent velocities (I can't remember the load off the top of my head).

I have a lee Loadmaster now that I've been using.. Winchester Autocomp meters beautifully on it. 124gn plated round nose, .40 disk, oal 1.163. Ends up being 5.0 grains measured on my scale. Meters VERY well and is very consistant. Shooting under 3" groups at ~15 yards and I don't consider myself that good of a shot. I am taking my time though and not just plucking them off. After 15 rounds in a clean gun I cant even tell its been fired.

Compare that to the BE86 I was using, getting 5-6" groups at that range and it was nasty the first time you pulled the trigger.. I know there are some on here that love the BE86.. but you couldn't pay me to use that crap again. I do however miss the Ramshot Silhouette

Ramshot True Blue will give very good loads and performance in the 4 calibers you listed. It meters like water and burns clean. For just the (2) automatics...9 luger & 45 auto...Ramshot Silhouette will give great performance. I load True Blue in 44 mag target loads with 240 gr HiTech coated lead from Missouri. I also load true blue in 45 auto, 38 special and 357 magnum with Ranier plated hp's, Missouri HiTech coated and Hornaday XTP's in all 3 calibers. It is the pistol powder for flexibility. (Note: I don't load 9mm, and my True Blue & Silhouette recommendations there come from load manuals) For hunting loads in 357 & 44 magnums I switch to W296/H110, but I wouldn't hesitate to punch dangerous game with either magnum or 45 auto loaded with True Blue if the need arose; plenty of velocity. You can pick up good load data on Ramshot's (Western Powder Group Product) website, or Modern Reloading manual by Richard Lee.
Pete

Back
Top Bottom