• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm finish reamer

jpm2953

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
403   0
Reaction score
So I have a Dan Wesson PM9 that has a really tight chamber. Not short...... but tight(diameter) my reloads fail the plunk test about 60% of the time. Same bullets pass all my other guns 100%.

I want to get the chamber reamed so I don’t have to plunk test every single round I put through this gun. Not fun carrying a back up gun and special back up ammo to a match.

Any one near Gainesville able to do this?

I think that I would contact dan Wesson. Do any factory rounds fail the plunk test?
What dies do you use?
Do you have a micrometer? Have you comapated you reloads to saami specs.
I load with Dillon carbide 9mm dies and they result in a smaller case diameter than rcbs dies.
It might be as simple as changing dies.

I think that I would contact dan Wesson. Do any factory rounds fail the plunk test?
What dies do you use?
Do you have a micrometer? Have you comapated you reloads to saami specs.
I load with Dillon carbide 9mm dies and they result in a smaller case diameter than rcbs dies.
It might be as simple as changing dies.
I sent them an email on Friday.
I use Dillon dies.... have also tried Lee dies. Same results
I don’t own any factory rounds :(

Loading Lead?
Or Loading long?

It could be that your bullet is hitting the rifling before it is fully in the chamber. Try a shorter COAL.

Loading Lead?
Or Loading long?

It could be that your bullet is hitting the rifling before it is fully in the chamber. Try a shorter COAL.
Not a length issue.
Loading poly coated lead. Also have tried plated.
It is most definitely a diameter issue

I have Federal Syntech factory ammo you can test on Saturday if you want. Also bring me my saw horses.
I had them with me last Saturday too!!! I’m just gonna see what DW says when they email me back. I found a guy on BE that will finish team it for me pretty cheap. I’m not gonna own a gun that won’t eat my homemade boolits

If you are shooting lead at a match, you are always going to be paranoid or irritated. Lead just is not as reliable as jacketed. Plated is ok in a 9 or 45. Coated helps but not enough. Your gun gets dirtier, the smoke distracting, lead gets deposited in the chamber and the rifle grooves, and cleaning is harder.

After a couple years of shooting lead, you may want your doctor to do lead level blood test. I shot moly coated stuff for years at a modern well ventilated indoor range. My lead count went from 12 to 17 to 19 in a five year period. My doctor was ready to treat me for lead poisoning. Not everyone absorbs lead as easily, but it is not good for you. I still shoot lead, but only outdoors. It only took a year for my lead level to drop down below 10 after only shooting outdoors.

Anyhow, good luck, have fun.

Back
Top Bottom