• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Major

After loading and shooting 60k plus of 9 major here are a few things I can say to respond to this thread. First in a properly built 9 major gun (non-Glock) I would say the OP's starting load will not make major power factor. I would also rec'd the load be longer to feed in the gun better and provide more case volume. The additional case volume will prevent working with compressed loads that I found created a knife edge as far as power factors go. And yes small rifle primers are the correct choice. I will say my gun never showed any signs of wear and I would guess the barrel would easily go 125k before changing. I NEVER split a 9mm case. I also never left a round on the ground to prevent anyone from picking one up and somehow making it fit in their Hi-point. The only drawback I ever saw (mentioned here) was the primer pockets took a beating. To verify primers were seated okay and no loose pockets I tumbled polished all the loaded ammo, never had a failure.

I never like running 147 grain bullets, didn't allow enough powder to be burned to operate the comp properly. There is usually a sweet spot that the gun likes. I preferred a power factor around 173 or so.

I never like running 147 grain bullets, didn't allow enough powder to be burned to operate the comp properly. There is usually a sweet spot that the gun likes. I preferred a power factor around 173 or so.
The load I'm playing with makes plenty of gas, gun stays flat as a board with 7gr of 3n38. Different recoil pulse for sure can't decide if I like it or not.

Back
Top Bottom