A good nuisance hog hunting rifle

Retired Marine here. I've killed 44 hogs with a Ruger Mini-30 shooting Georgia Arm 7.62 x 39 Ballistic tip ammo. I use a Bushnell 1.5 x 4 shotgun slug scope.
Yeah a few times the 7.62 x 39 did not drop the hog but it slowed it down enough for me to catch up to it and execute it with vengance with a head shot.
I've killed a few with a Mini-14 also but for hog hunting under 100 yards in thick brush/swamp the Mini-30 is a good choice of weapon. Hogs are a serious problem for the ecology. They need to wiped out. Kill them all. If you loose one the buzzards will appreciate your bad aim.

Was going to bring my AK-47 as a back up. I know I can legally hunt hogs with it. Have you hunted with a 7.62x39?

No need to spend $$$ on another rifle unless you just want to.
Buy some hollow points or ballistic tip 7.62X39 and go kill some hogs! It will get the job done just fine and you'll appreciate having the quick follow-up shots from your AK.

Semper Fi

I use my 30-06 most of the time. A 7 mm Rem mag for longer anticipated distances (and just to change things).
Whatever you use, you want to drop the hog with a good, accurate shot. They tend to get mad at you if you just piss them off :)

Anything .243 and up will do fine. A .30-30 lever gun with 2-7 scope would make a fine hog rifle inside 200 yards IMO. Most important thing is to get a bullet in the hog, just somewhere in the hog, so it will die, recovered or not. They are a problem.

How about a Lee Enfield rifle? Fairly inexpensive rifle, has a mag for quick follow up shots, only drawback is not scope ready and maybe finding .303 at the store could be an issue..

Back
Top Bottom