• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A little help for a beginner

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
Hello!

i am looking for few suggestions. I have two young kids (8) and they always ask me to go fishing.
I have practically no experience at all. I did it a little when I was 11 and 12 years old, with nobody teaching me, and only during summer on the ocean. Never on a rive or on a lake.
i live in Atlanta so I was thinking about going to to Bass Pro and get a couple of rods and the basic stuff that I may need to have a little fun, and then go to one of the big lakes north of the city.
I understand that kids do not need a license, so I may get one for me, just in case (right?).

Any recommendation about what to buy (i would like to keep things simple, at the beginning at least, but I guess I need something more than just the fishing rod, stuff like knives, baits or lures (which ones?) baskets, insect repellant :), etc.) and where to go (I don't want to use a boat and i need to find places that are easily accessible by car)?
I assume some of the answers would depends on what we would like to fish. Well, I don't even know what is in those lakes!

Also, I understand that the lakes are restricted areas as far carrying firearms is concerned. Is that correct? So no guns while fishing?

Thanks for your help?

Last edited:
get you some zebco 33s, bobbers hooks, small weights and crickets. find a small pond and tear up them bream! kids will get bored with fishing VERY fast if they arent catching anything. the guys at bass pro will try to over sell you on stuff you dont need yet, just get the basics and you will be fine. ask for George back in fishing, hes a real old guy thats been working there forever, hes good people. i used to work with him when i worked at the original Bass Pro off steve reynolds back in the late 90s lol.

ya, kids dont need one, but you will need a license. 9 bucks if i remember right.

the gun thing.....depends where you fish. no sign=good to go i would say. i would just CC and carry on.

I would stick to walmart for fishing supplies. Only because you can get some rods for the kids and yourself at a cheaper price than Bass pro for the same thing. I am in the same boat as you in this regard. My kids like to go fishin but I was never taught myself.

But anyways.
Rods, extra line, bobbers, weights, swivels, hooks and worms, a pair of needle nose pliers
Bugspray, cooler, drinks and sunscreen.

As for lures, get a cheap variety pack and have fun trying different ones. Get some stink bait for the lures if you wish.

You wont need knifes if you catch and release.

Guns while fishing, Depends on where your fishing and if you will be consuming alcohol. Most places you go fishing will not have an issue with your weapon if you have a GWL

Last edited:
You can get cheaper stuff at wal-mart that will suit your needs but it is not the same quality.. Starting out with your kids it won't matter you don't need the higher quality equipment you can get at BPS but you might find there advice and expertise helpful.

What you are planning on fishing for makes a big difference equipment you are going to need. If you want to have a good time and for your kids to have a good time then you need the right gear for the situation.

Also fishing large lakes without a boat is going to make it harder to catch fish well at least a lot of fish. If you can find a stock pond that someone will let you fish that will help get the kids interested and yourself. In my experience kids get bored fast when they aren't catching fish and quickly decide they don't like fishing.

the zebco 33 are an all time classic button cast easy to use reel. They don't exactly make them the way they used to but they get the job and are good for kids and beginners.

I recommend using live bait to start out. Crickets and Night Crawlers will catch fish no matter where you are so long as there is fish there.

Just remember fishing gets a lot more fun than just bobbers and worms but it will take time and practice like anything else.

Also unless the owner has asked you to otherwise please always throw Bass back. They are considered sport fish to many of us and you just need pictures if you ever want to mount them. There are plenty of other fish to keep like cats and blue gill that are much better for eating anyways. That is a personal stance but I hope it's one you will take up and pass down as well.

Google places to fish in Ga.
DNR will list many places.
If you ever come up to Kingston, I have a small pond.
Start simple, 33's are great. Small hooks will be best.
I like to use what's called cricket hooks. They have a longer shank. Easier to remove.
Small bobber, no weights, use worms, crickets.
After mastering casting small spinner baits like a rooster tail work well.
Good Luck,
Keep us posted!

Thank you guys! A lot to reed and study tonight. I will get back with what I buy.
I see nobody has mentioned foldable chairs :D!

BigT, Kingston is not to far to other places we go to, Thanks!

PS: any fishing near Johns Mtn. or Charlie Elliott WMA's?

I could not find George but the gentleman that helped me at Bass Pro was able to prevent me from buying a lot of unnecessary stuff!

This is what I got, license included. The cigars are in the humidor and the beers in the fridge. I hope I am not missing anything :).
Maybe a landing net?

i39.tinypic.com_i2ozs2.jpg

stone mountain park off hwy 78 - no heavy boat traffic - fish , picnic , relax around the covered bridge area - lotsa bream - this should hook em for life (the kids not the bream) daily parking pass $10 annual $35

Thank you guys! A lot to reed and study tonight. I will get back with what I buy.
I see nobody has mentioned foldable chairs :D!

BigT, Kingston is not to far to other places we go to, Thanks!

PS: any fishing near Johns Mtn. or Charlie Elliott WMA's?

Charlie Elliot you are going to need the WMA stamp in addition to your fishing license. they have 20ish ponds on there you can fish, 5 or so you can put boats in and pretty much all of them you can bank fish all around. they have a kids only pond stocked with bream and small bass that if you get some crickets the kids can pull em out as fast as you can put a bobber in the water lol. 15 years ago it used to be amazing bass fishing, but lately has gone to crap. lets just say a certain people like to fish there and keep anything that they catch, like 6inch bass (illegal, and bad for the ponds). i used to have the dnr guys cell phone for down there and call em everytime i saw it. there is a camping area down there also, and a nice shooting range.

i might make a trip down there this week....hmmmmm thinkin bout it

Back
Top Bottom