• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A little help for a beginner

I could not find George but the gentleman that helped me at Bass Pro was able to prevent me from buying a lot of unnecessary stuff!

This is what I got, license included. The cigars are in the humidor and the beers in the fridge. I hope I am not missing anything :).
Maybe a landing net?

i39.tinypic.com_i2ozs2.jpg

the forceps, forgot to mention those lol. those are great for getting your hooks back, way better than pliars for the small ones. thats the same zebco combo my nephew uses lol, works great! the next time you go buy more lures and stuff, i would pick up a small tacklebox with a shoulder strap to start storing everything in. i would pick up a few small rapalas and some small topwater poppers also. helps to make bobber fishing less boring lol.

hopefully he taught you how to tie a good fishing knot? if not, look up on you tube, i usually use whats called a "pro knot".

and no, unless your on a boat, i never use a net. just dont be scared of the fish lol!! unless you ever go trout fishing, then a net is a must, bastards are slippery! lol

Thank again. I'll definitely take the topwater poppers (for me :lol:)!
Fortunately knots are the only thing I can remember. Weather permitting we are going to try Charlie Elliot next week.
Stone Mountain is closer but cigars are off limits there.

Corps of engineer lakes forbids guns unless you are legally hunting,such as duck season.Careful on that one.Allatoona,Carters,Lanier are 3 examples of Corps.lakes.If you carry,keep it out of sight.They don`t honor Ga.CWL.

Grandpa made us kids use cane poles for years before we moved to reels. I think it's the best way to learn since they're quick, easy, and low maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on taking your kids fishing. I would highly recommend fishing with live bait, shad, minnows, crickets or worms etc. One thing to remember is on the bigger lakes is that if you can get there easily by car, so can everyone else. The fish no matter what species get wise and they have all seen the latest greatest plastic lure 1000 times before you got there. For Allatoona, I would recommend that you walk the lake shore in the winter time, every winter they drop the lake exposing tons of structure that cannot been seen from the bank when the lake is at full pool. Take a GPS and or camera to help remember what was where. Next get a boat when it is affordable to you, it dose not have to be much of one but will increase your catching tremendously.
No need to break the bank on fishing gear while fishing from the bank, the fish could care less of you are fishing with a carrot stick or a cane rod. What you need to focus on, is what the fish actually sees. The lighter the line and smaller the hook the better, the fish know when someone has a 3" minnow on a 5/0 hook, you want to present your bait as natural looking as possible.

Lots of good advice on here for you.
like one of the guys said don't carry your gun on Corps of Engineers property......if they get you, it is federal court with very high fines, seizure of the weapon, possible loss of your GWL and possible banishment from Corps property.
Bream is definite the way to go with kids, keeps them busy and excited and fishing with your kids is a GREAT way to bond and have have some excellent dad and and kids talks..They will be a lot more open about things on their mind when you are sharing outdoor adventures and there are no electronic distractions just good, healthy and productive fun times with dad......one of the absolute best things you will ever do with them and its good for them and yourself as well.

Be prepared for tangled lines, its just part of the deal, be patient and just work it out, its a learning process for them.

I just took one of my grandsons Tuesday..we catch and release 99% of the time....I've taught him that if we put them back, we can come back over and over and catch them again so the fun never ends.

Good luck and have a great time!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom