• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A little help for a beginner

The fish:

i39.tinypic.com_6925co.jpg

:fish2::thumb::cheer2:

Well, after three days of full immersion I want to thank everybody for all suggestions that I was given. I would say the most useful one was that I had to be patient :thumb:. And yes, to use live baits.
Charlie Elliott and especially the kids pond was definitely a good choice. The kids did not have any problem in understanding the importance of catch and release but we managed to have dinner with catfish tonight, which made them really proud, plus I would say that they are already more than 80% self sufficient. Which means that now I can buy a rod for me as well and start enjoying fishing again.

PS: I don't want to drag this discussion forever but if anybody has any suggestion for a good "general purpose" rod and reel, that I can use at the lakes, without spending more that $100-$150 .... :D....

Last edited:
Well, after three days of full immersion I want to thank everybody for all suggestions that I was given. I would say the most useful one was that I had to be patient :thumb:. And yes, to use live baits.
Charlie Elliott and especially the kids pond was definitely a good choice. The kids did not have any problem in understanding the importance of catch and release but we managed to have dinner with catfish tonight, which made them really proud, plus I would say that they are already more than 80% self sufficient. Which means that now I can buy a rod for me as well and start enjoying fishing again.

PS: I don't want to drag this discussion forever but if anybody has any suggestion for a good "general purpose" rod and reel, that I can use at the lakes, without spending more that $100-$150 .... :D....
Awesome pic!
Heck me and a buddy drug our yaks there Saturday and were nearly skunked! Good job on catching anything that day. It was tough fishing!
For under a $100, you've got a LOT to choose from. Heck you could get some Penn combos from Walmart for that.
Of all the things I've got, an inexpensive Pfleuger open faced combo, that I assure you was under $100, I picked up from BPS years ago is by far the most dependable 'easiest' thing I have to fish with.

My Dad taught me a fun way to catch panfish when I was little, and there was no live bait needed.

Get some clear torpedo floats with screw eyes in both ends (I can't find them locally so googling "clear torpedo float" is the best bet):

float.jpg

Tie the narrow (front) end to your line from your rod. On the fat end, tie a 2 to 4lb mono leader anywhere from 2 to 3 feet long, and lastly tie on a bluegill popper to the end of the leader:
poppers.jpg

Make a cast, but stop the line just before the float hits the water so the fly ends up behind the float. Give a small twitch with the rod tip, let sit for 10 seconds or so, and repeat.

I caught a ton of bluegill and small bass on this rig as a kid and it got me started using and casting artificials. Heck, it's been a very long time since I used this rig, I may resurrect it myself and try some bream for catfish and stripers.

Best of luck!

Pfluerger open face it is. Plus I got one 6'6" BPS medium rod. It came with a sleeve and a carry case which are a nice accessory.

Claudio, I just read this, I have two little rods/reels you could have had, My son used them when we had a boat up at Lanier, years ago! Have fun, if you guys are coming out to Stone Mtn, come see us, ok, Tigger!

Hello! It's me again.

Going to near Blairsville for a long weekend. Is there any nice lake were I can take the kids for some (easy) fishing. No rivers, just lake. I will be not to far from the Vogel State Park. Is it a good place?

Back
Top Bottom