• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A New First For Me: I Want Your Item, But I'm Suppose To Hold It Indefinitely?

I've done close to 100 deals here on the ODT, met some wonderful folks, and I can honestly say that 99% of the deals I've made here went very smooth. But, I've had a new situation pop up this week, and I don't know what to do about it.

I posted an item for sale, and I have a guy say that he wants it. Great! But, he wants me to bring it to him in north Georgia. Well, I tell him no, that my ad clearly states the areas I'm willing to meet in. He says that he wants the item, but he's not sure when he'll be able to come to my area and meet.

Huh?

I'm as easy going a guy as you'll find. I'm more than willing to work around a persons work schedule or if they have to wait to get paid/gather funds. But holding an item until a person one day ends up in your area?

I'm looking to make a deal, but I can't hold the item forever.

Frustrating.

That's easy.....if it's small mail it...if it isn't send him a big heaping spoonful of NOPE.

147ata.jpg

I am involved in a committed deal right now where I am buying an item I have been looking for. He is working out of state and won't be home until the middle of next month. No problem, I am making payment to him ahead of time and based on his multiple 100% positive feedback I am confident he will ship the item to me when he returns home.
Even though the circumstances on this deal are a little different, I still want to go ahead and pay the dude. This way he doesn't have to be one bit concerned whether I am seriously committed or not.

I had one similar to that, but not the same. I was the buyer. Seller was on the other side of Atlanta, and I never go that way. I agreed to his asking price, but told him to go ahead and try to sell it in the meantime. I drove by him 2 months later on the way to in laws. He still had the item, I paid and got now my stuff. I would never expect him to hold the item for me. First person with cash would have gotten it, and it happened to be me.

i have experienced this as a buyer. If i really want something but can't make the trip, i offer to paypal or send money order to hold it. Have not been burned yet (fingers crossed).

Edit:

Sometimes folks will say my trading feedback is enough to hold it, but i still feel better to send the funds. Good feedback is an asset - important lesson for newbies.

This. I once paid for an item and picked it up two months later when I was finally in his area.

Back
Top Bottom