• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A New First For Me: I Want Your Item, But I'm Suppose To Hold It Indefinitely?

Dogtown Darren

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
287   0
Reaction score
I've done close to 100 deals here on the ODT, met some wonderful folks, and I can honestly say that 99% of the deals I've made here went very smooth. But, I've had a new situation pop up this week, and I don't know what to do about it.

I posted an item for sale, and I have a guy say that he wants it. Great! But, he wants me to bring it to him in north Georgia. Well, I tell him no, that my ad clearly states the areas I'm willing to meet in. He says that he wants the item, but he's not sure when he'll be able to come to my area and meet.

Huh?

I'm as easy going a guy as you'll find. I'm more than willing to work around a persons work schedule or if they have to wait to get paid/gather funds. But holding an item until a person one day ends up in your area?

I'm looking to make a deal, but I can't hold the item forever.

Frustrating.

i have experienced this as a buyer. If i really want something but can't make the trip, i offer to paypal or send money order to hold it. Have not been burned yet (fingers crossed).

Edit:

Sometimes folks will say my trading feedback is enough to hold it, but i still feel better to send the funds. Good feedback is an asset - important lesson for newbies.

I did that 2 times, held a gun about 6 months for a guy and the deal never happened and about the same on another but this guy found one cheaper. For me it is deal now or never.
It is nice to be a nice guy but the man in the store is not going to hold it. Now I go with the first guy to put the cash in my hand gets it.

I've had one member offer to hold a Type 53 for me that was a real good deal. That was unexpected and a damn nice effort on his end. But I told him I had no idea when I'd be able to get up there to the other end of the state to get it.

Lots of great deals I'd love to have but I've got my limit as to how far I'll drive to keep my sanity. Besides, I actually like to shoot the guns I get, not re-flip them

Back
Top Bottom