• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question about suppressors and back order...

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
Suppressor noob here. So I am thinking about getting a .30 cal suppressor, and logic would dictate that because the wait is so long, I should get started as soon as possible. My question relates to the fact that the suppressors I am thinking of buying seem very hard to find in stock locally - like the TBAC Ultra 7 or the Dead Air Nomad 30. It seems like I could waste a lot of time looking for and/or waiting for one of these to be in stock so that I can put it in jail. At the same time, I'm not exactly sure how much time I will be adding to the wait if I go with something that is back ordered. Then again, back order may be the only practical choice.

Should I just go to Quiet Riot Firearms and get the ball rolling on a back ordered suppressor, or is there a better way to go about it? Appreciate the advice.

I have a Dead Air Sandman and highly recommend it! I'd get started on whichever one you decide on ASAP! My first one took 13 months, and the second took 9 months.

Attachments

• 20230923_123855.jpg
    20230923_123855.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 13
If you're buying the can as an individual, eFiling now is somewhat faster than the paper filing, so your wait times might not be excessive. The bigger danger is the same as the one when buying your first handgun - it's easy to buy something that actually doesn't work for you.

My recommendation is to develop a relationship with a local NFA shop/vendor (for example, Quiet Riot) and ask them their advice - if only as a confirmational check. That relationship will serve you well in the future, if you intend to purchase further NFA items. I'm a real Dead Air fan, but I've been hearing rumors of problems with their QA recently, and a knowledgable partner in the industry can save a lot of heartache.

Don't forget that SilencerShop are not the only game in town. If you want a Nomad 30, there are dozens for sale right now on Gunbroker. There are a fair number of Thunder Beasts too, and an option is to make a purchase and have the can transferred to jail at Quiet Riot. You might even find they're less expensive than Silencershop, but the processsing costs (shipment fees etc) could eat that price difference up fast, and part of that is the costs that may be applied by your NFA dealer.

Make sure if you go the "source it myself" route that you get your NFA dealer informed and on-board before you pull the pin and hit the "buy" button. They may be able to source a can outside of the SilencerShop ecosystem too, and also might be able to source it at a better price.

Edit: A good example. I wanted a Dead Air Ghost M at a time when they were hard to come by and Silencershop had none. I worked with a local NFA dealer who didn't have one in stock but went out and sourced one for me, at about $40 less than it would have cost me from Silencershop (assuming that their previous price had been maintained), and they 'onboarded' it to the Silencershop electronic system (which IIRC is a $30 cost to them). So I just about broke even and got in line. That can is due to be out of jail within a month or so if I'm lucky (extended wait - it's going in a trust)

I bought a BANISH 30 through Silencer Central https://www.silencercentral.com/ and they take care of filing the the paperwork with the ATF and will ship it to you when approved. They have excellent customer service and they offer other services like barrel threading, accessories etc. Go ahead and get in line as it isn’t getting any shorter.

For a first time buyer I'd go through a reputable dealer, and QR is one of the best around.

They are also a Silencer Shop dealer so they can get you all set up in that so you can buy from their web page in the future and just have things sent there to stay in jail while the forms chug through the system.

For a first time buyer I'd go through a reputable dealer, and QR is one of the best around.

They are also a Silencer Shop dealer so they can get you all set up in that so you can buy from their web page in the future and just have things sent there to stay in jail while the forms chug through the system.
Appreciate the feedback. I think that’s what I’ll do. I like the idea of establishing a relationship through a local dealer but also having access to a good online selection for the inevitable future purchases.

Cherokee Gun & Pawn is where I’d buy one. They’re close by and have Awesome service, especially for suppressors.
Much as I like them for guns and such, I won't use them for supressors again.

They sat on two of my cans for almost 2 months a few years back. My correct phone and email were printed on the box for both cans, but some dumbazz copied my number onto a Post-it and mixed up the digits.

They tried calling that wrong number exactly once according to the note, got a message it was out of service, and never even tried again. One look at either box and they would have spotted the error, but I guess they couldn't be bothered.

Yeah, it wasn't the end of the world, but I've never had a bad experience with QRF and my only NFA experience with CGP was not great.

They are both the same distance from me (in opposite directions) and I've been dealing with QRF for years, so skipping CGP was an easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom