• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Customer brought in an AR built by someone else on a C3 Defense receiver set......possibly by C3 themselves, but worked on at least once since then.

The bolt catch didn't function properly. It felt like there was no spring or plunger under the catch.

The receiver extension was of the type with the wide, fixed loop sticking out the sides, which prevented me from getting to the bolt catch pin, so I removed the buffer system and it's parts from the rear of the receiver.

When I did, I found this:

A457716C-5CF0-4FC1-B1A9-953F18D974C6.jpeg

Instead of a detent spring and detent. there was half a detent spring and two detents. That's a novel approach.

When I removed the bolt catch, this is what I found:

296C04F9-8601-48FE-8729-B0235C15B090.jpeg

The aluminum was severely peened over the head of the bolt catch plunger, trapping it compressed below the surface. I told the customer that he would have to leave it with me in order for me to fix. He asked what my recommendation was, and I said that I'd trash the billet C3 lower and replace it with something forged and closer to milspec. Additionally, for what I would charge to free trapped plunger, I could sell him a forged Aero Precision lower instead.

Pulled all the parts off the offending lower and rebuilt them into the new Aero lower. Replaced the half a detent spring with a complete one. Replaced the receiver end plate with one from Forward Controls Design that has a QD sling swivel socket. Trigger appeared to be an ALG Defense ACT, which is an damn good one.

Customer hit me up the next day and said she runs like a champ.

My lowly contribution.

PXL_20220812_220932731.jpg

Got this in a lower parts kit I bought recently. I installed it two or three times before I realized what the issue was; forgot the serrations on one side. It's really only a cosmetic issue but just another reminder to inspect your parts.

My lowly contribution.

View attachment 4603628

Got this in a lower parts kit I bought recently. I installed it two or three times before I realized what the issue was; forgot the serrations on one side. It's really only a cosmetic issue but just another reminder to inspect your parts.
Hey man, that's 'high speed and low drag'. The missing serrations are a feature, not a flaw.

Worked on what was quite possibly the most messed-up, poorly-assembled AR I‘ve ever had on my bench.

Customer had his AR ”upgraded” by a guy who just “works on AR’s”. Chambered the first round by hand, it fires, extracts/ejects the empty, and fails to pick up a new round.

Upon visual inspection, I found the upper and lower receiver groups full of more sand than I have ever seen in an AR, including M16’s in the Marine Corps when operating in a desert environment. Upper receiver, lower receiver, barrel (including barrel extension), magwell, receiver extension (buffer tube)……..sand.

Funny thing is, there wasn’t a single grain of sand on the outside of the firearm.

Customer claimed that was the way that it was given to him.

57F9B103-2D07-41C4-8FD6-6BB8DA287355.jpeg
3A0AD7AF-2909-4DA5-8E97-56EB69BFB1AE.jpeg
3138FFB7-A070-473A-9988-5F68A012291F.jpeg
2FF5D96A-098D-4926-84DF-757DAF4553F3.jpeg
5F2F5F36-B981-40A5-8E61-0AC15E086C87.jpeg

The new gas block that was installed had a very sloppy fit to the barrel, but it would have probably been okay if it were installed properly. It wasn’t.

The gas block was misaligned, and the barrel was not dimpled for one or both set screws. From the burn pattern around the gas port on the barrel, there was enough overlap that it probably wasn’t an immediate issue. However, with the failure to dimple the barrel, and the fact that the set screws were barely finger tight, it’s a guarantee that the gas block would have walked or shift on him very soon.

9AE9F2B6-8D39-44C8-B174-F01C2B0ECD82.jpeg

Here’s the SLR barrel dimpling jig properly installed on the barrel. You can see the scratches where the set screws were installed on the barrel. If the gas block had been located properly, those circular scratches would be dead center in the threaded holes in the jig.

1D2B2E4C-0229-4005-BA31-18732FC39DE2.jpeg

Here‘s the barrel after I dimpled it twice. This also shows clearly how out of alignment the gas block was.

7D873A8F-FD1A-4D9D-AF45-09482A7E4E87.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom