AAC prodigy .22 silencer or ????

I will be using it on a pistol and a rifle (if that matters), a SR22 and a M&P 15/22 but plan on getting a bolt action gun as well since it would be even more quiet. It is $300 and how would I know if the upgrade has been done? Also how much is it to do if it hasn't been done? Can the AAC prodigy do other calibers such as the 5.7 round? I like that aspect for if I end up with a P90 or five seven in the future.

No it can't. I wouldn't pay $300 for an aluminum rimfire can

I will be using it on a pistol and a rifle (if that matters), a SR22 and a M&P 15/22 but plan on getting a bolt action gun as well since it would be even more quiet. It is $300 and how would I know if the upgrade has been done? Also how much is it to do if it hasn't been done? Can the AAC prodigy do other calibers such as the 5.7 round? I like that aspect for if I end up with a P90 or five seven in the future.

If it is in good shape and AAC would warranty it on 2nd owner, I would take that deal. The last time I checked the Prodigy was still the quietest can on the market for rifles. If it is still not the quietest, I am sure it is darn close. The Prodigy is a single core that you screw/unscrew from one end so it does not get any easier to take apart and put back together. If it does not come with the disassembly tool, here is one for $18. And it is only rated for 22 so 5.7 is a no.

Regarding the core upgrade, if it is less than 2 years old, I know it will have the new core. I cannot remember when I did my upgrade, but I thinking it was 3 - 4 years ago. I am sure you could call with a SN or just check for pics of the core on the web. And the core upgrade was free so I am guessing they would still honor it if it needs the upgrade, but I would still check.

Regarding the steel vs aluminum debate, yes steel is easier to clean but aluminum is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be. I coat mine with bore butter and soak it in either paint thinner, CLP, or Gun Scrubber - whatever is on hand. Or you can use a soda blaster. Even on my steel suppressors, I would not use the dip method of cleaning because I would not want that toxic sludge sitting around my house. How do people dispose of it anyway??? You also have the weight difference between steel and aluminum if that is an issue for you. If I was using FA, then it would be steel hands down, otherwise pick one that is quiet and in your price range.

Last edited:
since the stamp is involved, buy once, cry once. biggest thing is buy user serviceable. 22 cans get dirty and lead up, sending it back to the manufacturer to clean is silly. if you can, buy stainless/titanium baffles and tube. makes cleaning a snap using the dip. otherwise you will have to put a lot of elbow grease into cleaning.

i own an Element and love it EXCEPT for cleaning the tube. the SiCo Sparrow SS is the way i would go if i could do it again. dedicated K/cone baffles do better on pistol hosts. rifles dont care, not much gas left at the end of the tube.

Baton, its the same stuff as battery acid, take it to a car dealer/repair shop.

since the stamp is involved, buy once, cry once. biggest thing is buy user serviceable. 22 cans get dirty and lead up, sending it back to the manufacturer to clean is silly. if you can, buy stainless/titanium baffles and tube. makes cleaning a snap using the dip. otherwise you will have to put a lot of elbow grease into cleaning.

i own an Element and love it EXCEPT for cleaning the tube. the SiCo Sparrow SS is the way i would go if i could do it again. dedicated K/cone baffles do better on pistol hosts. rifles dont care, not much gas left at the end of the tube.

Baton, its the same stuff as battery acid, take it to a car dealer/repair shop.

Good to know that a repair shop will take it and people aren't dumping it in the sewers. Personally I still would not use the dip because of the toxicity issues. I just use the ultrasonic cleaners for steel.

haha, dip is worth it if you can keep it secure. an 8 hr soak and lead, powder and copper fall off or wipe off. wonder if i could ultrasonic the dip.

Yeah from a strictly cleaning perspective, it does not get any easier than the dip. But when you add in all the other things you have to do such as wear gloves, wear a mask, store it properly, dispose of it properly, it just is too much effort for me.

I really think cleaning aluminum is overblown. The thing does not have to sparkle, and if you coat it with something like bore butter, it will prevent most of the caking.

depends. i do 500 since i dont want to buy a pusher tool (i think i could make my own if i wasnt so lazy). if i had the tool 1000 rds would be about it. pistols cake more than rifles do so if if you rifle shoot only, 1500 rds probably wouldnt hurt anything.

the design plays into this as well. SiCo uses a sleeve so the tube stays nice, just push the core out with the sleeves. my element is just K baffles in a tube, i have to use a hammer and tap them out.

Back
Top Bottom