Abuse of Haralson County's Emergency Ordinance? What Else Does An Emergency Make?

The state did pass the law. The makers of the crap changed the chemical a little, therefore making it legal again. So the county decided to ban it completely in any form.

I want to read their ordinance, as the governor banned it completely in March. http://gov.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,165937316_165937374_182713455,00.html

Gov. Nathan Deal today signed legislation that outlaws all forms of synthetic marijuana in the state of Georgia.

“These synthetic substances pose an enormous risk to our public safety,” said Deal. “As the usage has dramatically increased, instances of violence, bodily harm and even death have risen with it. I applaud the GBI and the General Assembly for their fast work on this legislation, which addresses a pressing need.”

The problem in writing such a law is listing every substance know to man to cause a high. I bet Haralson's ordinance doesn't do that, as it would be impossible. Plus as Chuck illustrated it the youth will find a way to get what they want laws be damned anyway. When I was a teen it was easiler to buy drugs than it was to buy alcohol. Now prescripton drugs are coming on fast as the next drug of choice for teens.

Also one of the city's in Haralson reps stated(in the story in my op) that they were drafting a law slowly as they had to be careful in writing such an ordinance. He was politely pointing out the Haralson Ordinance was a knee jerk that wasn't well thought through. I would like to read that version but I was unable to find it on Municode.

EDIT: Here is the state version: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20112012/126572.pdf

Last edited:
You say abuse of power for an emergency. What defines an emergency? The BOC deemed it an emergency to the health and welfare of the county. There is nothing written on the definition of an emergency. Yeah it could happen where you live, but if the said emergency happens to effect someone you care for and love, I bet you want say jack crap about it being an abuse of power. They did what they had to do to stop a problem until a permanent fix could be put in place. When every friggin store was selling this crap to kids and the laws set forth by the state could do nothing to stop them, measures had to be taken.

I have seen the effects of this crap on people. Granted it was a brother in arms, not a family member, but yes it is horrible. When this stuff first hit the market, it was huge in the military because there were no regulations against it, it was totally legal, and you could get it any where. I tried it once, and it was the worst experience of my life. There were 2 people in my unit that died off of this crap. I am totally on board with you 100% in your opinions on the synthetic weed and designer drug front.

That being said, the broad language used in these ordinances is the problem. The sweeping bills and ordinances that give way too much power to too few people is the issue here. Does there need to be a way that substances like this can be taken off the shelves quickly while the FDA and the Feds slowly grind their legislative gears to ban it? Absolutely. Does that also need to include the power to seize your personal property? Absolutely not. Whomever it was that you lost to this substance, I am sorry for your loss. But you have to understand that this was an example of the use of this legislation, albeit a good and fair use. Who is to say that the next time this is enacted, it will be as helpful or benign?

This beginning to resemble Cold War Russia.Those of us old enough remember how'd they kill themselves to escape communism. Obozo is right on schedule.

YOU TELL'M ATTY ! Unless you live here ,leave the dog the dog crap in the pen , Haralson Co. is trying to do something about this k2 crap , but they(police ) can't be in every store . It's coming from out of town , has to be . As far as guns go we are a GUN LOVING COUNTY. In our court's , a lawyer asked our jury if anybody owned a gun , the judge stopped him and asked the young lawyer , "why don't you just ask the jury who doesn't own a gun in H.C.)Pointed at me and said "especially that guy !, needless to say everybody on the jury panel raised thier hands . Which goes to show that Haralson Co.WE LOVE OUR GUNS. THIS K2crap is a killer , the store owners who sell it should get an automatic death penalty if they sell it and someone dies, would'nt bother me in the least.

Back
Top Bottom