Abuse of Haralson County's Emergency Ordinance? What Else Does An Emergency Make?

any other emergency which may affect the lives and property of the citizens of the county, the board of commissioners or its appointed designees, separately or jointly with the mayors of the cities named in section 14-21 or their legally appointed designees, may determine that an emergency or disaster exists and thereafter shall have and may exercise, for such period as such emergency or disaster exists or continues, the following powers:

Herein gentlemen lies the problem; broad sweeping powers are emplaced by their own (BOC or appointees) determination of what an emergency is. Could it be a downed power line, a thunder storm or a fart in an enclosed public space? Who makes the decision, the board does. Today it's a teen who smoked fake weed and died and it's an Emergency? Really?

The intent and what actually occurs will eventually deviate to a point that the citizens’ rights are null and void, if not today then tomorrow.

Give the government the ability to have far reaching power with some vague notion of intent and the recipe for tyranny exist. It is indeed the road to hell and we are naively paving the way. :cheer2:

Seriously? You actually believe this?

The HC BOC isn't taking guns from anyone. Obviously you have never had someone you care about or a family member on this synthetic crap. I have and I don't give a crap what they have to do to get it banned. You sir don't even have a dog in this fight, being that you are NOT a resident of Haralson county. Not to mention thi article is only a few months old. This is what pisses me to no end, automatically assuming that the government is after our guns just because they exercise emergency powers. You not being from Haralson county obviously don't have a friggin clue what's going on here. So that being said, next time you decide to scream that the sky is falling, check the efn weather forecast.

I'm not saying anything about taking guns in this thread!

You are right I don't live there but if they can abuse this ordinace then my county can.

Yes that crap is bad the state already passed a law against it! So there is no need to rush by the commissioners of the county, they could have passed the ordinance in the regualr way.

This Thread is about the abuse of what the Disaster/Emergency Ordinance is actually written for.

This thread is about the abuse of what an "emergency" makes.

Emergencies make for a very useful tool for the unscrupulous against the naïve, important take home message and repeatedly truthful to a fault.

that during extreme national emergencies, people are most scared and thus much more willing to surrender their liberties in return for “security.”

While I don't think that the current local governments will go to the extremes, I do understand that the risk incurred is rather unacceptable and for what purpose? In times of Emergency the communities here in Georgia have all pooled together and acted in an expectedly Christian manner. No law was required or much less needed. The power granted at the expense of the rights of our citizens is illegal. All our local governments need to do is "ask" not demand and the support will be overwhelming.

All it takes is an individual or small group of individuals to become intolerant and that is not too far from reality.

Well thank goodness this will never happen.
http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0403a.asp

Or could it?
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1750/venezuela-chavez-emergency-powers

Last edited:
The state did pass the law. The makers of the crap changed the chemical a little, therefore making it legal again. So the county decided to ban it completely in any form.

Seriously? You actually believe this?

Watched it in progress more like, so it's more like risk assessment.

Also I did not mean to downplay the death of a young person and if you interpreted that it was not intentional.

Our greatest risk to our youth is trauma, most often behind the wheel.

The thread on "emergency powers" was very well presented. The push for this legislation was addressed, the who what and where. Also mentioned that if not implemented and accepted the local governments would not "qualify for free money". That would be our tax dollars paid to incorporate the widely empowering policies. Risky?

Last edited:
The state did pass the law. The makers of the crap changed the chemical a little, therefore making it legal again. So the county decided to ban it completely in any form.

This is not about the illegal fake pot, but rather the method used by the local government utilizing "emergency powers" to empower themselves.

The ends justify the means? The board was good intentioned and no one here argues that but calling in "emergency powers". Giving a government office that kind of power is just asking for problems and history reflects it so.

It's sad to say it but this country practically NEEDS a civil war. When politicians can begin creating and envoking their own twist on laws to suit to their personal agendas, whether it's knocked down by the state or gov LATER on doesn't matter. It's like the enemy probing your lines looking for any weakness to get past you.
There should be a 4 year law for ANY politician, 4 years and you're out, no life-time pay benefits, get a job like everybody else.

Last edited:
You say abuse of power for an emergency. What defines an emergency? The BOC deemed it an emergency to the health and welfare of the county. There is nothing written on the definition of an emergency. Yeah it could happen where you live, but if the said emergency happens to effect someone you care for and love, I bet you want say jack crap about it being an abuse of power. They did what they had to do to stop a problem until a permanent fix could be put in place. When every friggin store was selling this crap to kids and the laws set forth by the state could do nothing to stop them, measures had to be taken.

It's sad to say it but this country practically NEEDS a civil war.

But, who against who? There needs to be a lot of house cleaning, maybe if the politicians would do their job and not ask who has the most money for them things could get better. It won't happen overnight. Greed and a few other things have screwed this country up.

I'm all about personal freedom and the letter of the law, but if you're selling this stuff, or any type of drug paraphernalia that young people can walk in and purchase, then I ain't too worried about you to begin with.

If you play with fire, eventually you will get burned. Selling stuff to kids just ain't to cool in my book.

I was buying beer, even hard liquors in Haralson and Carroll counties when I was 12 and 13. It wasn't hard to do. I look back at those folks that I thought were good to me then, and realize they did me no favors.

I damn sure don't want them selling to mine, or anyone else's kids. While I understand the OP's concern with abuse of power and our crumbling rights, even worse crumbling values today. I know several of these board members, and they live in the same neighborhoods we do. Most are very conservative, and I don't see them doing a power grab.

I just can't get too riled over this one.

Back
Top Bottom