• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Actors who'd be able to bring it in a real fight

We often criticize Hollywood on-screen gun play (suppressors, anyone?) and violence as creating unrealistic audience perceptions that have negative social consequences.

Thought it might be fun to give shout outs to actors, directors, and productions that "get it right" with gun play.

First place: Tom Cruise is well known for training extremely hard for physical roles and pays particular attention to the details of hand-to-hand combat, including fists, guns, and edged weapons. Example, here's a video overview of him training for Collateral:

Second place: Keanu Reeves. Trains very hard and is a very capable three gun competitor:

Third place: Director Michael Mann for Heat, Collateral, and Thief. Among many others. The sound editing alone on the bank shootout from Heat stands out as one of the most realistic gun battle scenes ever done in a movie.

Honorable mention to Steven Spielberg for Saving Private Ryan and an extended list of directors for Band of Brothers.

Others?
I think Reeves would kick little Tom's ass all day everyday.

Not gunplay, but hand to hand there are a lot of trained martial artists, boxers, etc in Hollywood-Jason Statham, Michael Jai White, and others.

I think Tom Cruise did a ton of good training for Collateral, but probably not regularly since then (unless a new film required it), whereas I believe Keanu Reeves genuinely loves it and trains consistently.

Steven Seagal's Judi chops were legendary in the 80's and 90's. I think he went reserve sheriff in Louisiana too. But I think he went off the deep end (left) somewhere recently though...

Not gunplay, but hand to hand there are a lot of trained martial artists, boxers, etc in Hollywood-Jason Statham, Michael Jai White, and others.

I think Tom Cruise did a ton of good training for Collateral, but probably not regularly since then (unless a new film required it), whereas I believe Keanu Reeves genuinely loves it and trains consistently.
I agree 100%, but when Michael Jai White claimed a while back that he could've beat Bruce Lee in a fight he just made a joke outta himself. After a whole lotta backlash he had to retract that dumbass claim but it was too late then. I have no respect for that guy whatsoever. Still wouldn't wanna have to fight him at my age though. Lol!

New guys? Not too many.

Old/dead guys?
Charles Bronson
Steve McQueen
Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
That gets it started!

I also heard he killed two stones with one bird too. But that's neither here nor there...
if he was gay, he could get a man pregnant....if you can see him, he can see you. if you cant see him, you are seconds away from death..... he died last week you know. good news is, death is expected to recover, but he will have to pee sitting down for the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom