• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Adventures in Reloading .32 ACP!

I have loaded .32 ACP with the Lyman 311252 sized to .314 and very small charges. They have all done well, but it is tedious to load. The .32 headspaces on the rim (.32 is a semi rimmed case, hence the dilemma of rimlock) so you can roll crimp them and they will work just fine. Good luck in this endeavor. The .32s I have loaded shot very accurately through a KelTec P32.

Which book are you using ?
i just read the section in Speer # 14 and will send info to you as reference if it helps.
It mirrors much of what you have already said.
Will scan and pm page to you if needed

I'm using Lyman's 49th Edition; My Speer is #8 and has no .32 ACP info in it!
My strongest reference has been to Cast Boolets and their wealth of experience in reloading cast bullets!
There is a posting that spans several years that is most informative!

looking to hear how it turns out. You might want to get a sizing die to get those bullets into spec. Im looking to load 32 within the near future, but for a revolver, really looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you.

Did you compare the S&B OAL to your OAL?

Thank You and Yes, The COAL is within specifications / closely matching the S&B
The problem is that the "girdle" width exceeds specs ... after bullet seating.
Prior to seating the cases are FL resized and mic within specs, then slightly flared
so as to allow projectile placement ...

I had the same problem you speak of with some 40 cal cast bullets. I ended up getting a Lee factory crimp die.

But in the meantime. I took the depriming rod out of my sizing die and ran the loaded rounds through it. It sized the overall dia down to the correct size and they worked perfect. Give it a try on a couple rounds and try manuely running them through your action. Let me know how this works for you.

Paul

I have loaded .32 ACP with the Lyman 311252 sized to .314 and very small charges. They have all done well, but it is tedious to load. The .32 headspaces on the rim (.32 is a semi rimmed case, hence the dilemma of rimlock) so you can roll crimp them and they will work just fine. Good luck in this endeavor. The .32s I have loaded shot very accurately through a KelTec P32.

On the web there's lots of conflicting information on how .32 ACP Headspaces.
I carefully looked at my S&B commercial loads and they appear to be taper crimped.

That said, jacketed projectiles can stand a lot more force before deforming (than cast projectiles).
The consensus of opinion that I get fro Cast Boolets is "Taper Crimp":

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Handloads-com-quot-Experiences-with-a-32-quot

I had the same problem you speak of with some 40 cal cast bullets. I ended up getting a Lee factory crimp die.

But in the meantime. I took the depriming rod out of my sizing die and ran the loaded rounds through it. It sized the overall dia down to the correct size and they worked perfect. Give it a try on a couple rounds and try manuely running them through your action. Let me know how this works for you.

Paul

I did just that and "appearances" are that this just might be a workable fix ...
I mic'd one and the "Before" girdle diameter was .339, "After" is .330 as compared to a "factory fresh" S&B at .334.
Standard Published Specification is .336
Hmmmm ...

I did just that and "appearances" are that this just might be a workable fix ...
I mic'd one and the "Before" girdle diameter was .339, "After" is .330 as compared to a "factory fresh" S&B at .334.
Standard Published Specification is .336
Hmmmm ...

The factory crimp die that Lee sells does this same thing. They have a carbide insert that sizes the overall size while it crimps, then as you pull the round back out of the die, it passes through the carbide insert again. So you are pretty much doing the same thing by doing what you just tried.

One thing, this little trick doesn't work with jacketed bullets, it will cause the bullets to be loose in the case. (from my experiance)

I reload .32acp as well as .32 s&w long. I have shot my .32acp reloads in my Keltec P32 and my daughters Beretta Tomcat and her S&W M30. I cast for the s&w long but use Berry's plated for the acp. They have always gone bang and a hole appear somewhere on the target, so far. Have you slugged your barrel to see what size bore you really have? Your casting mix will affect your cast bullet size also. What size and as cast weight are you getting out of your molds? The small autos are very finicky with oal. Do your rounds pass the plop test in your barrel?

I would try seating them a tad deeper. They look like they have a fat nose profile, push the ogive a little deeper to get it to feed like a skinnier profiled bullet.

Anyway, that is what I would try. You may want to reduce the charge while experimenting with the seating depth.

Back
Top Bottom