• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adventures in Reloading - Milsurp .311/.312 - Slugging a Barrel

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
So, I have here a Mosin, and an Enfield. I have brass, I have powder. I have primers.

But what I don't have for sure is a decision on whether I should be loading .311 or .312 bullets for these two beauties, so it's slugging time!

I will have some .32 caliber lead balls in a day or so, and I've consulted the oracle of knowledge, Youtube, and I think I know what I'm about.
  1. Immobilize the gun and (duh) make sure it's unloaded, with bolt removed
  2. Hammer the ball into the muzzle with a copper or brass headed hammer so I don't damage the crown
  3. Once the ball is mostly in, drive it through the barrel using sections of dowel so I don't damage the rifling
  4. Keep going until the slug pops out at the breech end
  5. Measure the slug's diameter
Have I missed anything here?

With luck, they'll both slug out at the same diameter and I can at least consider getting the same bullets for both - I'm looking at something like a flat-based 150gr spire point. All I really need is some 'pretty good, pretty accurate' plinking ammo for when I or some guests get the itch to put some holes in paper.

Comments? Ridicule? Observations? Serve 'em up.

Actually did the deed on the Enfield and the Mosin.

Worked exactly as advertised - the Mosin slug revealed that the rifling of the barrel is 'middlin' - the lands and grooves weren't pronounced, but the bore came in at .311.

The Enfield was interesting. Five grooves, nice sharp lands and grooves, and I could get a set of varying diameters, depending on rotation of the slug, that gave me .307 , and I'd guess that the major diameter of the bore comes in at about .310.

I was hoping that slugging the bores would give me really useful, actionable information, but the more reading up about it - the more I realized that it's just a good rule of thumb.

I was surprised at the time that the muzzle end of the Enfield seemed to be tighter than at the breech end, and with an even sloppier section of barrel in the middle. Turns out this is no mystery, barrels were made with tighter muzzles.

So, looks like I'll be picking up some Speer .311 150gr flat bottom spire points as my first attempt at reloading for both of them.

Results to follow.

Back
Top Bottom